Underage child called to I-485 interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underage child called to I-485 interview

(*note: i will send an updated timeline of my case when I get home)

Filing in Chicago:

So we finally got our interview date for adjustment of status based on marriage (yay!) we have all the paperwork, shaker account, mail coming to our home to both our names, affidavit, lots of pictures, etc. even school documents from my daughter stating that my husband is the emergency contact and step-father.

My kid got the same interview notice I got saying she has to be at the interview. I really thought minors were not obligated to go, so I called USCIS and they confirmed she has to be present too. Her status is also being changed.

Anyone else shared this experience?

We are not worried as we believe her blunt honesty is the best proof of our marriage, we were just wondering how these interviews worked.

Thank you.

Our case is employment-based and the lawyer told us that even when our child is underage they may request to go to the interview because is old enough. Didn't ask the age a child is "old enough" so I don't know.
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

My child is 11. I wonder if they will ask her questions and how the interview will go with a child in the room.

Comment

I don't have experience for GC interview and young kids but I have experience crossing the border.

The officer usually asks questions like "Is this your dad? who is this?". In rare cases, they ask for the child to approach the service window and the parents to stay several feet away and ask questions about school, family, where they live. Of course, this is just to get a permit to travel a few days into the USA, don't know what an IO will ask at the GC interview. Please keep us posted and good luck, I bet everything is going to be fine.
        Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
        Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
        Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
        ---
        All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Mrichardson i had my 8 year old when we had our first interview. They generally ask is this your father or what school you go to. To my daughter they never asked anything.

Comment

Just to update:

On the interview, they asked her questions like
            “what is your full name?”
            ”date of birth?”
            ”who do love with?”
            ”do you go to school?”

that was it!

I did noticed that the officer restrained from asking me inappropriate questions in front of my kid.
            The fact she was present made the interview more pleasant IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrichardson View Post
              Just to update:

On the interview, they asked her questions like
              “what is your full name?”
              ”date of birth?”
              ”who do love with?”
              ”do you go to school?”

that was it!

I did noticed that the officer restrained from asking me inappropriate questions in front of my kid.
              The fact she was present made the interview more pleasant IMO.
              Had the same experience with AOS employment interview. I brought my 6 years old kid. Offices were really polite tactical and did not ask any inappropriate questions to my my kid.

Comment

How old is your kid?

Comment

My son is 16.. he had to be present at the interview and officer went through with all questions through his I-485 form same as mine and my wife's. (Employment based).

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X