I-864 Affidavit of Support - Part 1 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-864 Affidavit of Support - Part 1 Question

Hello - Please let me know if I've submitted my question in the wrong forum. I am new here

I am filing for my husband's green card from within the USA (I am a native-born American citizen). We are currently both students, and I do not meet the requirements to be the sole sponsor for him. My father has agreed to be a sponsor (also a native-born American citizen).

My question is in part 1 of the I-864 paperwork. I do not make an adequate amount to be a monetary sponsor for my husband, so I am wondering how I fill out the first part of the form. I have it filled out like so:

I, (My name) am the sponsor submitting this affidavit of support because... I am the first of TWO JOINT SPONSORS.

I am wondering if I need to be a sponsor at all, or if I can simply use my father's name here. If I do it this way, I will have to add additional paperwork to put in my father's information/documents. I am mainly wondering if I NEED to also be a sponsor on this form and fill out a separate form with my father's information, or if it is okay to ONLY put my father on this form.

I am sorry for the somewhat confusing/complex nature of my question. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by allibunni; 08-04-2020, 09:39 PM.

No. There is only one joint sponsor (your father). You are the petitioner. So on your I-864, you would check "1.a. I am the petitioner." And on your father's I-864, he would check "1.d. I am the only joint sponsor." As the petitioner, you must always submit an I-864, even if there is a joint sponsor. You need to fill out your whole form (and your father needs to fill out his whole form).

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Okay. Understood! Thank you so much for your help!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X