Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on I-140 dependency on I-485 application

Hi,

My company had filed my I-140 in EB1C category in Jan 2021. With the EB1 final action dates becoming current starting this month, my attorney office is working on filing my I-485 most probably before end of this month. I have a couple of questions on I-140 dependency on I-485 & I-765 and was hoping some of you in this group might have been in the same boat as me could help answer my questions.

1. I understand I-140 receipt is required for filing I-485 but unfortunately I haven't received my I-140 receipt notice yet. Luckily, the cheque which was cashed by USCIS had my receipt number entered in the back so I now have the receipt number but still no receipt notice on hand. What is the possibility of a RFE or any risk because I will apply without the I-140 receipt.
    2. I see that many people are getting their EADs within 6 months of filing their I-485 but considering that my I-140 is not approved yet, could I still be given an EAD subject to cancellation if my I140 gets rejected?
    3. Will my I-485 application processing be put on hold until my I-140 is approved?

Appreciate your help!
    | This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice |

Can anyone please help answer my question?

Comment

From what I understand:
      1.- You may need a copy of the actual I-140 receipt
      2.- EAD is based on I-485, not I-140. If I-485 is rejected then EAD became invalid too. If I-140 is rejected then I-485 too.
      3.- They will start reviewing your I-485, they can send RFE but in the end, they must approve I-140 before approving I-485 (approvals can be at the same time).

I'm no expert, sorry if something here is wrong.
      Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
      Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
      Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
      ---
      All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Thank you. Do you know if while I140 is still under processing, I 485 could be picked up for processing and both approved at the same time?

Comment

From what I read, yes, they can be approved at the same time. Usually, if the I-140 is sent months/years in advance it gets approved before the I-485.
          ---
          All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

You have to have the I-140 receipt notice to file I-485.
            Employment based AOS
            Priority date: 04/24/2020
            Package delivered: 04/06/2021
            Check cashed: 04/27/2021
            Received receipt notice through texts and emails: 04/27/2021
            Paper notice of arrival: 05/03/2021
            Biometrics notice received: 05/28/2021
            Biometrics done: 06/14/2021'
            I-485 AOS Approved: 09/08/2021
            Green card mailed: 09/10/2021
            Green card in hand: 09/13/2021

Comment

Thank you. Is there a way of requesting the receipt notice from USCIS if I haven't received one? It has been more than 90 days since my I-140 was filed. While my attorneys manager to get my receipt number, we still don't have the actual receipt notice on hand.

Comment

Try https://egov.uscis.gov/e-request/Intro.do

Option: Did not receive notice by mail
                ---

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X