Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing Caterogy in i-485 for Spouse of NIW Employment-based applicant

Hello,

Part2 of i485 requires the applicant to fill the category and there is a myriad of options in there. What should the spouse of an i-140 applicant for EB-2 with NIW and concurrent filing (employment-based) fill in there?

In the instructions, I can see this:

A principal applicant’s spouse and children, who are not beneficiaries of their own immigrant petition, may be eligible to apply for adjustment under the same immigrant category as the principal applicant

So, according to this, the spouse can choose the Employment-based category, but that doesn't make any sense, since it's more family-based. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, if the spouse selects Employment-based, should he/she send an i140 as well?

Originally posted by PaulC View Post
    Hello,

Part2 of i485 requires the applicant to fill the category and there is a myriad of options in there. What should the spouse of an i-140 applicant for EB-2 with NIW and concurrent filing (employment-based) fill in there?

In the instructions, I can see this:

A principal applicant’s spouse and children, who are not beneficiaries of their own immigrant petition, may be eligible to apply for adjustment under the same immigrant category as the principal applicant

So, according to this, the spouse can choose the Employment-based category, but that doesn't make any sense, since it's more family-based. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    It's the same as the principal beneficiary, i.e. employment-based.

Originally posted by PaulC View Post
    Also, if the spouse selects Employment-based, should he/she send an i140 as well?
    No.

A derivative beneficiary's I-485 is either filed together with the principal beneficiary's I-485, or filed with a copy of the principal beneficiary's I-485 receipt

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      It's the same as the principal beneficiary, i.e. employment-based.

No.

A derivative beneficiary's I-485 is either filed together with the principal beneficiary's I-485, or filed with a copy of the principal beneficiary's I-485 receipt
      Thank you so much!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X