Sponsoring my mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsoring my mother

Good evening, I have a question. I am filling out a petition for my mother. I have the I-130 and the I-485 ready, she is a TPS holder, and she recently traveled to Honduras with a 512-T document, and she was paroled back into the United States (5/2024). I am filling out for I-864 and I need some guidance if you please, I live with both my parents, I am a student, I have a part time job and my income is $19,000. My father is a US Citizen, and his income is about $80,000, my parents file their income tax together. I basically need to know the following:
    1. When filling out my I-864, Part 6 “Sponsor’s Employment and Income”, Item 8, do I need to add my father’s information or my mother’s? The reason why I am asking is because as I mentioned before, they file their taxes together every year, so I don’t know if I have to add either or both.
    1. Do I have to include form I-864 (or a I-864A) for my father, my mother or for both?
    1. Do I need to add my father as a secondary sponsor?

Thank you so much for your help.

Ryan Rivera​

Anybody? Thanks

Comment

Who is petitioning your mother? You or your father?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi, I am petitioning for my mother, my father is a US Citizen, they are legally married, and they do their taxes together. I need to know if I have to fill a I-864 for my mother and I (I am a student, I work part time and I only made $19,000 last year, or if I need to fill one out for my father too, even though they do their taxes together. Thanks.

Comment

You are the petitioner, so you must fill out the I-864. Assuming you are not married and do not have tax dependents, your I-864 household is just you and your mother (the intending immigrant). Your father is not counted in your household size unless he is your dependent (which he isn't, based on what you described). Your I-864 Part 6 #7 would be your individual income. Your I-864 Part 6 #8-10 would be the information and income of one of your household members whose income can be added to your income to contribute to your household income, but the only other person in your household is your mother, and 1) it doesn't sound like she has income, and 2) when the intending immigrant is not your spouse, their income can only be counted if they are living in the same residence as you. It sounds like your mother either doesn't have income, or her income can't be counted, so your household income is just your own income. For a household size of 2, you need a household income of $25,550, so your $19,000 is insufficient. You can also count assets, with $3 of assets counting for $1 of income, but you probably don't have that much assets.

If your own household income is insufficient, you can find a "joint sponsor" whose household income is sufficient, who completes a second I-864. This could be your father. In your father's I-864, the household size would be him and your mother, and maybe also you if you are his dependent. His own income, $80,000, is sufficient without needing to count anyone else's income. How he filed his taxes doesn't matter.

But if you're going to do that, it makes much more sense for your father to petition your mother, as that way only he would need to sign an I-864, whereas if you petition your mother and use your father as a joint sponsor, then both your and your father would need to sign I-864s.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X