Permanent residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent residency

Hi everybody, hope somebody can clear my doubts.
    I came to usa with a K1 visa, I got married within the 90 days after comming to usa, that was back in May 2010. After getting married I filed for my residency, I changed my status from K1 Visa to non-permanent resident. This non-permanet lasts 2 years from the time I got married, so it should expire next year. My doubts are:
    1- when or at what time can I filed for Status Adjustment of non-permanent residency to permanent?
    2- Can I do it now or do I have to wait until expiration date?
    3- How long does it takes from the time I file until I get my permanent residency?

Thank you very much and I hope someone can help me.

You file the I-751 form during the 90 days prior to the expiration date of the green card. It doesn’t have anything to do with your wedding anniversary. It’s the 2 year anniversary of the day you received your non-permanent resident status that counts. For example, if your green card was issued on December 15 2010, it will expire on December 15 2012. That means that you have to file the application during the 90 days prior to December 15 this year (i.e. starting on September 16). Do not wait until your green card expires since your legal status expires with the green card, unless you have submitted the application in time.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt replay wavedom.
      can you please tell me how long will it take until I get my permanent residency, from the time I file the application?

Comment

The USCIS mentions 6 months as the processing time at CSC, but I don’t know how accurate that is. It seems like it’s even longer at VSC. My guess would be that it will take between 3 and 12 months. The processing time seems to vary quite a bit, so there’s no point in guessing on a specific month when the application will be approved.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X