Renew reentry permit after expired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renew reentry permit after expired?

I am a Green Card holder but I had to move to Japan due to my parents work and I had a reentry permit but that has expired in June.
    I wish to move back to the US one day, hopefully after graduating college here, so I wish to keep my status as a perminent resident till then.
    Is that possible?
    Also, I wish to travel to Guam for vacation, but since that is US property, will I be held back or have to abandon my Green Card?
    Or can I renew my reentry permit even though it has already expired?

If you've been out of the country for more than a year, and your permit has expired, you're out of luck. If, say, you entered the US less than a year ago even though your permit has not expired, you could still be allowed in before 1 year passes. No guarantee, but you'll probably be ok with good reason. You must be in the US to get a new re-entry permit.

If you've been out of the US for longer than a year, but you were unable to go back due to really compelling circumstances (health issues, for example), you could try applying for a returning resident visa (SB1). It's hard to get, but possible. Otherwise, you've lost your status and will have to start from scratch. If so, formally relinquish your card at a US embassy or consulate using form I407. Then, going to Guam will have to be as a visitor.

Another thing - how old are you? If you've just turned 18, you might be able to argue that when you were a minor, you couldn't go to the US without your parents' approval, so your absence was beyond your control. Either way, contact the US mission and talk to them about it.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X