No announcement yet.

Will it be a problem if a ReEntry Permit expired BUT on the process for new one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it be a problem if a ReEntry Permit expired BUT on the process for new one

I hope someone can give me an answer or advice about this…

I am GC holder.
    I have a ReEntry Permit that will expire on 2/28/2014.
    And I have to apply another one for two more year.
    I am planning to submit I-131 before it expire when I go back to USA, and return my valid reentry permit with I-131 form.
    Then I will leave USA again soon after.
    When I get notice for Biometric appointment, which I expect a 4-5 weeks later, I'm going back to USA again.

Here comes my question;
    When I go back to USA for Biometric appointment, I have only GC and I have no longer have a reentry permit, would it be a problem to go through
    USCIS officer at airport?
    Since I will have a papers for Biometric appointment from USCIS, I don't think it will be any problem but I am not sure. Best way is stay in USA until I get notice for Biometric but I can not.

Any info or advice would be a big help.

Thank you!

When you apply for your next Reentry Permit, you must stay long enough in the U.S. to have Biometrics. The subsequent newly-issued Reentry Permit can be sent to a U.S. address to be forwarded to you or to a U.S. consular post abroad for you to pick up. You will need it to reenter the U.S.

I would not recommend leaving the U.S. right away, with plans to return for your Biometrics.

--Ray B

Originally posted by torachan View Post
    I hope someone can give me an answer or advice about this…

I am GC holder.
    I have a ReEntry Permit that will expire on 2/28/2014.
    And I have to apply another one for two more year.
    I am planning to submit I-131 before it expire when I go back to USA, and return my valid reentry permit with I-131 form.
    Then I will leave USA again soon after.
    When I get notice for Biometric appointment, which I expect a 4-5 weeks later, I'm going back to USA again.

Here comes my question;
    When I go back to USA for Biometric appointment, I have only GC and I have no longer have a reentry permit, would it be a problem to go through
    USCIS officer at airport?
    Since I will have a papers for Biometric appointment from USCIS, I don't think it will be any problem but I am not sure. Best way is stay in USA until I get notice for Biometric but I can not.

Any info or advice would be a big help.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      When you apply for your next Reentry Permit, you must stay long enough in the U.S. to have Biometrics. The subsequent newly-issued Reentry Permit can be sent to a U.S. address to be forwarded to you or to a U.S. consular post abroad for you to pick up. You will need it to reenter the U.S.

I would not recommend leaving the U.S. right away, with plans to return for your Biometrics.

--Ray B
      Thank you very much for your reply and an advice.

It will be really inconvenience for me to stay in U.S. until Biometrics....as far as I know, it could take 1-3 months.
      Last time it took for 4 weeks, I guess I was lucky.

I live in Finland now, and I just find out that USCIS has international office in London, do you think I can go there instead of U.S.?
      I saw their website, but I could not find info about I-131. I will try to contact them to ask but I have low expectation for it.

btw, my GC will expire on 8/8/2014, should I, or could I renew it online while living outside of U.S.?

Sorry one more thing, I hear that 2nd time reentry permit is harder to get, because they don't want to GC holder to stay outside of U.S. for long time. Is it true?

I appreciate your advice~!

Best regards,
      tarachan

Comment

I disagree. You do NOT have to stay in the US before completing biometrics. I think it is absolutely legitimate if you need to leave and return for the biometrics. This trip will be short, so it wouldn't be a problem. It won't take 3 months to get the notice, though. You can't go to an overseas CIS office. You must return to the US to apply (and remember, make sure CIS receive it while you're still in the country). Renew your GC from wherever, but you need a US address. It will be harder to get a second permit, but as long as you haven't been out of the country for longer than 4 years in the last 5, they usually give it to you. Also, if you've been abroad for almost 6 months and haven't got your permit yet, RETURN TO THE US for some time so that you don't get in trouble. You can do this before 1 year has passed, but 6 months is a safer target.

Comment

Your Reentry Permit and Biometrics must be initiated from within the U.S.

Biometrics for an I-131 is almost always scheduled 3-5 weeks after submittal of the I-131.

--Ray B

Originally posted by torachan View Post
          Thank you very much for your reply and an advice.

It will be really inconvenience for me to stay in U.S. until Biometrics....as far as I know, it could take 1-3 months.
          Last time it took for 4 weeks, I guess I was lucky.

I live in Finland now, and I just find out that USCIS has international office in London, do you think I can go there instead of U.S.?
          I saw their website, but I could not find info about I-131. I will try to contact them to ask but I have low expectation for it.

btw, my GC will expire on 8/8/2014, should I, or could I renew it online while living outside of U.S.?

Sorry one more thing, I hear that 2nd time reentry permit is harder to get, because they don't want to GC holder to stay outside of U.S. for long time. Is it true?

I appreciate your advice~!

Best regards,
          tarachan

Comment

Thank you rayb, cafeconleche, for sharing your knowledge. It's really helpful.

Last time I had a professional help to do this I-131 process, but since this is my 2nd time so I am thinking doing it with my self.

I am planning to go to U.S. in late Jan.,2014. I hope it is no problem since my Reentry permit will expire on 2/28/2014.

Do you think or do you know that USCIS will treat applicants differently with or without G-28 letter (lawyer representative)? ( I hope not.)

Sorry for endless wondering...

torachan

Comment

Not sure how they treat you without a lawyer, but for something like a re-entry permit, which I consider a low-difficulty, routine application, I wouldn't bother.

Comment

I have to agree. When I do the I-131 for anyone, I charge $200, but that's only because of the time and explanations I have to give. If an attorney charged you more than $200, he's taking advantage of you.

--Ray B

Originally posted by cafeconleche View Post
                Not sure how they treat you without a lawyer, but for something like a re-entry permit, which I consider a low-difficulty, routine application, I wouldn't bother.

Comment

Using Re-entry permit & Green Card

Hi Guys,
                  I am new to this forum so please guide me just in case my question has been asked before.

My re-entry permit expires on 17th Feb 2016 and I intend to be there by Jan 2016 but i have to leave in a couple weeks as i am in my final stages of graduation, so do i need to apply for another re-entry permit or would green card suffice ?

Please bear in mind that i only need 3 months to wrap up things before i make my permanent shift to USA.

Thanks,

Taha

Comment

Using Re-entry permit & Green Card

Originally posted by cafeconleche View Post
                    Hi Guys,
                    I am new to this forum so please guide me just in case my question has been asked before.

My re-entry permit expires on 17th Feb 2016 and I intend to be there by Jan 2016 but i have to leave in a couple weeks as i am in my final stages of graduation, so do i need to apply for another re-entry permit or would green card suffice ?

Please bear in mind that i only need 3 months to wrap up things before i make my permanent shift to USA.

Thanks,

Taha

Comment

If your next exit will be for a short visit, a new Reentry Permit is not normally needed.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Tpirzada View Post
                      Hi Guys,

Thanks,

Taha

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X