Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing reentry permit

Dear immihelp community,

My re-entry permit will expire in 6 months. I travel to the U.S. often but am not ready to immigrate just yet.
    What's the process and do you have any advice?

Thank you for your help!

When do you expect to move back to the US?

Renewal is simple. You must be in the country when you send the application, and when CIS receive it. You can either wait for biometrics, or leave and come back for it, but someone needs to check the post for you then. Once you do that, you can leave and wait for it at the US mission in that country, or ask for it to be sent to someone in the US, who can then send it to you via FedEx or something similar. You can either attach your old RP with the application, or, if it'll only be valid for another couple of months, write "set to expire" on the application and keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by cafeconleche View Post
      When do you expect to move back to the US?

Renewal is simple. You must be in the country when you send the application, and when CIS receive it. You can either wait for biometrics, or leave and come back for it, but someone needs to check the post for you then. Once you do that, you can leave and wait for it at the US mission in that country, or ask for it to be sent to someone in the US, who can then send it to you via FedEx or something similar. You can either attach your old RP with the application, or, if it'll only be valid for another couple of months, write "set to expire" on the application and keep it.
      Thank you for replying! At the moment I'm not sure. Whenever I get a chance really. Hopefully within the duration of the reentry permit.

Follow up question: does that mean I need to fill out form I-131 (application for Travel Document)? I can probably find my old one and just make some adjustments. Save on lawyer fees.

Comment

You didn't need a lawyer the first time, and you definitely don't need one now. Yes, I131.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X