Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for evidence. Removal of conditional green card. Confused

Hello,
    I'm really confused with my green card situation and i will be really glad if someone could answer my questions.
    So my mother married my US citizen stepdad and received her conditional green card 3 years ago. At that time i was 17 and i received my conditional green card through her and my stepdad who adopted me. However before she could remove her conditions, my parents both moved oversees and still are married together, so my mom didn't apply for I-751 application. But i stayed here in the US and currently studying in a University over in California.
    So i applied for I-751 application by myself to remove my conditions. However i just received a email from Immigration office, requesting a evidence for adjustment of conditional status of my parent or a form i-751 submitted by my parent, which they didn't submit.
    I'm so confused about what to do and any help will be appreciated.

Thank You

That's a pretty "interesting" situation!
    1/ Does your mum intend ever to move back to the U.S.? When did her conditional resident status expire?
    2/ Did you include in your filing an explanation of why you were filing separately from her?
    I imagine that you should be able to file the I-751 separately if you can prove that the step-parent/step-child relationship still exists... But the devil is in the detail, and, since the stakes might be high, you should consider speaking with one or more immigration attorneys.

Comment

Originally posted by ExperienceIA View Post
      That's a pretty "interesting" situation!
      1/ Does your mum intend ever to move back to the U.S.? When did her conditional resident status expire?
      2/ Did you include in your filing an explanation of why you were filing separately from her?
      I imagine that you should be able to file the I-751 separately if you can prove that the step-parent/step-child relationship still exists... But the devil is in the detail, and, since the stakes might be high, you should consider speaking with one or more immigration attorneys.

Well they're going to working there for couple years before moving back. I explained in the letter that i was living separately from them. I'll try to get some documents from my dad. Any suggestions on what kind of documents i should show them?

Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by edulgn View Post
        Well they're going to working there for couple years before moving back. I explained in the letter that i was living separately from them. I'll try to get some documents from my dad. Any suggestions on what kind of documents i should show them?

Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated.
        Well, maybe you should consider having both your stepfather and your mother each write a notarized letter explaining that they are living abroad only temporarily, that they are still married, and that you are still a family. (In which country do they live?) You're going to need to move fast but carefully too because it looks like you will soon be turning 21, which would significantly limit your backup options in case of a misstep.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X