Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get a temporary I-551 while waiting for correction on green card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get a temporary I-551 while waiting for correction on green card?

Hi,
    My husband's green card was approved in May 2014 and we received it the beginning of June --- with his name misspelled! Arrghhhhhh! Seven months waiting for a typo!

So after receiving wrong information from the customer service line and waiting 3 weeks for another card to arrive in the mail, which of course it never did, we completed the I-90 form at the advice of an immigration officer. We requested a new card due to a USCIS error, so we are not paying for the new card or biometrics appointment, etc.

My question is, can he go to the local USCIS office and ask for a temporary I-551 stamp in his passport while we are waiting for USCIS to send a new correct card? He needs a document in order to work now, as well as get a social security card and driver's license. His foreign driver's license is expired so he should get one here, and in regards to work, he has an A-number and can legally work, but he needs a document to show employers.

Can someone advise on getting a temporary I-551 stamp under this circumstance?
    Thanks!
    L&P

All you can do is ask for it at an INFOPASS appointment. Go to: https://infopass.uscis.gov/

Applicants for I-751 10-year cards have been able to get I-551 stamps when the first one-year extension runs out, and this is a similar issue.

--Ray B

Originally posted by LivingTheDream View Post
    Hi,
    My husband's green card was approved in May 2014 and we received it the beginning of June --- with his name misspelled! Arrghhhhhh! Seven months waiting for a typo!

So after receiving wrong information from the customer service line and waiting 3 weeks for another card to arrive in the mail, which of course it never did, we completed the I-90 form at the advice of an immigration officer. We requested a new card due to a USCIS error, so we are not paying for the new card or biometrics appointment, etc.

My question is, can he go to the local USCIS office and ask for a temporary I-551 stamp in his passport while we are waiting for USCIS to send a new correct card? He needs a document in order to work now, as well as get a social security card and driver's license. His foreign driver's license is expired so he should get one here, and in regards to work, he has an A-number and can legally work, but he needs a document to show employers.

Can someone advise on getting a temporary I-551 stamp under this circumstance?
    Thanks!
    L&P

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X