Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stateless" Nationality on Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document

Hi everybody!

I'd like to get some input from any folks out there who are stateless and hold a US Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document issued on or after 05/10/2010 (when USCIS added the Nationality field to the identity page of these documents):

- What does it say under "Nationality" on your RP/RTD? "Unknown"? "Stateless"? Something else?

- Have you had any trouble traveling to other countries with your RP/RTD? Any problems with airlines?

To give you a bit of background, I applied for an RP in January, and because I have no citizenship, I put down "Stateless" as my nationality on Form I-131. I've come across some other threads where people describe their experiences using an RP/RTD as their main travel document for international travel, but I haven't yet heard any accounts from people in my situation (i.e. who are stateless).

Hello, you probably have got your answers by now but I would like to update this threat for others to know. I am myself an Asylee and I travel with Refugee Travel Document (RTD).
    If you do have nationality in your RTD that's your current nationality, that means you currently hold passport of your country of origin - even though as refugees we are advised not to use it. Remember, not all refugees are stateless. You become stateless if you formally denounce your country of origin citizenship, just because you are refugee that doesn't make you stateless.
    I haven't had any serious trouble using RTD to go to other countries. I went from USA to Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, and the Philippines - you do need to apply for and get visa though for some of these countries.

The only problem with airlines is that they haven't seen or know RTD and will always hold you till they verify RTD and make sure it's good to go so my advice is to go to airport early to have enough time for airline's bullshit and verification.

So having a nationality or STATELESS in your RTD won't change anything. It's an official document issued by US government.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X