2-year green card expires at same time as I become eligible for citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-year green card expires at same time as I become eligible for citizenship

Hi! I just had my conditional green card approved (yay) and had a couple of questions I was too excited to ask my interviewer about when I had the chance.

My understanding is that I become eligible to apply for citizenship after 3 years of being married. We've already been married 1 year, and I just received my green card, which is valid for another 2 years. When this card expires, we will have been married 3 years. My question is, do I then apply to have the conditions removed or do I simply apply for citizenship?

I suspect that I'll be required to apply to have the conditions removed and get a 10 year green card first before it's possible for me to be naturalized, but I'd like to see whether anyone has better information.

I hope that all makes sense.

Thanks!

3 years means staying is USA.

Originally posted by sarahshahzad View Post
    Hi! I just had my conditional green card approved (yay) and had a couple of questions I was too excited to ask my interviewer about when I had the chance.

My understanding is that I become eligible to apply for citizenship after 3 years of being married. We've already been married 1 year, and I just received my green card, which is valid for another 2 years. When this card expires, we will have been married 3 years. My question is, do I then apply to have the conditions removed or do I simply apply for citizenship?

I suspect that I'll be required to apply to have the conditions removed and get a 10 year green card first before it's possible for me to be naturalized, but I'd like to see whether anyone has better information.

Thanks!
    You could do either way. You can start applying to become US citizen when your stays in USA is about 2 years 6 months. So when interview comes, your stay in USA would be by 3 years. 3 years of marriage will not be same as 3 years staying in USA. So you should do the math which will come first and which one you should do first.
    This is my opinion not legal advice. I just want to help you to thoroughly consider among doable ways but you take your own risks.

Comment

Thanks!
      no! u will have to apply for permanent green 3 months before conditional green card expire. 1 year from that u can apply for citizenship. u have to wait 3 years from the issue of green card not 3 years go being married.

Comment

Hi

you don't apply for citizenship after 3 yrs of marriage you start counting from the date that you got your conditional green card, you can be married for 5 yrs and still have to wait 3 years as a GC holder for citizenship, i applied for GC. After one year of marriage just like you, and I just removed the condition on my GC. I got my 10 yrs GC 2 weeks ago, And I'm going to be able to apply for citizenship on december 2016, make sure you apply to remove condition 90 days before your conditional GC expire

Comment

Thanks!
          There is no way that you would qualify for US citizenship at the same time as when your conditional green expires.

You need to have a green card for 3 years to apply. It's not just 3 years of being married.

You MUST file to remove the condition on your 2 years conditional green card. One year after that when you have been a green card holder for 3 years, then you can file for naturalization if you are still married and living with your USC spouse.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X