Green card abandonment and taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card abandonment and taxes

I am LPR since 2009. I live in India and visit USA once a year for a month. I do not have any income in USA, but came to know about FATCA and FBAR. I am considering giving up green card.
    Questions I have are -
    1. If I don't visit USA for 2 years, would that just considered abandonment for my resident?
    2. Am I obliged for US taxes?
    3. After 3 year if I want to visit USA, would I be able to apply for visitor visa?

Thanks much for your help.

How have you been able to maintain your LPR status since 2009 if you only live 1 month per year in the USA?

Comment

ur visa is valid for 10 years, if it is not expired u shouldn't have any problems. if u want a citizenship then u may a problem

Comment

Originally posted by crazeekru View Post
        I am LPR since 2009. I live in India and visit USA once a year for a month. I do not have any income in USA, but came to know about FATCA and FBAR. I am considering giving up green card.
        Questions I have are -
        1. If I don't visit USA for 2 years, would that just considered abandonment for my resident?
        2. Am I obliged for US taxes?
        3. After 3 year if I want to visit USA, would I be able to apply for visitor visa?

Thanks much for your help.
        File Form I-407 if you want to give up your green card.

Your pattern of visiting the US for a month every year is not living in the US. You were abusing your green card privileges by living in India.

As an LPR, you are obligated to file US tax returns on your worldwide earnings.

You can apply for a visitor visa. There is no guarantee that one will be granted.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X