Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• affidavit of parent physical presence and residence in the United States

Uri
    Last edited by Uri Lazar Shalem; 06-19-2023, 06:56 AM.

Citizenship

Originally posted by Uri Lazar Shalem View Post
    Hello,
    I would appreciate your help.
    I am USA citizen by birth, but have not lived in the country for more than 3 years all my life.
    I have 3 children and a wife, all born aboard, not citizens.
    I completed the migration process for them. We just moved to the US, and they have received their green cards and SSN.
    We then went to a passport agency asking asking for passports (as proof of citizenship) for the children (aged 0.5, 4 and 7)
    We got a response in the mail asking us to submit the following for each:

"A notarized affidavit from your U.S. citizen parent detailing periods and places of his/her physical presence and residence in the United States and abroad prior to your birth. Any periods of service in the Armed Forces of the United States should be specified. For each period or place of residence in the United States, your parent should submit public documents to support his/her physical presence in that location, such as school, employment, or military records. "

I was under the impression that a green card translates automatically to citizenship for children. Why is there a condition based on the time i lived in the US before their birth?

Thank you so much
    Uri
    No. Your children will have to apply for US citizenship, and your wife because your time of residence in the US was too short. You needed to have proof of your US residence for 5 years before your age of 14, and 5 years after your age of 14, but before your children's births. US citizenship is very strict. It is not enough to just be born in the USA. More than likely for you to receive a US passport you will have some trouble also bc you were not a US resident. Good luck and be ready to be patient. It takes a long time and involves a lot of paperwork to be filled out.

Comment

Originally posted by Uri Lazar Shalem View Post
      Hello,
      I would appreciate your help.
      I am USA citizen by birth, but have not lived in the country for more than 3 years all my life.
      I have 3 children and a wife, all born aboard, not citizens.
      I completed the migration process for them. We just moved to the US, and they have received their green cards and SSN.
      We then went to a passport agency asking asking for passports (as proof of citizenship) for the children (aged 0.5, 4 and 7)
      We got a response in the mail asking us to submit the following for each:

"A notarized affidavit from your U.S. citizen parent detailing periods and places of his/her physical presence and residence in the United States and abroad prior to your birth. Any periods of service in the Armed Forces of the United States should be specified. For each period or place of residence in the United States, your parent should submit public documents to support his/her physical presence in that location, such as school, employment, or military records. "

I was under the impression that a green card translates automatically to citizenship for children. Why is there a condition based on the time i lived in the US before their birth?

Thank you so much
      Uri
      Yes, it is very weird that they would ask for that. What documents did you submit? Did you submit the child's green card plus proof of your citizenship plus proof that the child lives in the US with you like a marriage certificate?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by cmill View Post
      No. Your children will have to apply for US citizenship, and your wife because your time of residence in the US was too short. You needed to have proof of your US residence for 5 years before your age of 14, and 5 years after your age of 14, but before your children's births. US citizenship is very strict. It is not enough to just be born in the USA. More than likely for you to receive a US passport you will have some trouble also bc you were not a US resident. Good luck and be ready to be patient. It takes a long time and involves a lot of paperwork to be filled out.
      Wrong. The OP's children automatically became US citizens the moment they entered the US as permanent residents, living in the US with a US citizen parent. They cannot "apply for citizenship".

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X