X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost/expiring I-797

8/14 - received green card based on marriage
    5/16 - filed for removal of condition
    8/16 - 2 year green card expired (notice of action serves as one year extension

And here's my problem,I lost notice of action letter I-797. I'm hoping my employer has a copy on file (please someone tell me there required to have one!).

Now what do I do? Applying for a copy costs $465 (form I-824) and has a 6 month processing time, which takes us to July/August 2017, which is when the notice expires. So i would spend $465 to get a notice that would expire immediately.

Can I get a stamp I-551 at infopass worhout the original I-797? With a copy? Without I-797 at all? Or do they only issue I-551s after the 1 year extension is up?

What do i do if I have to travel? No plans but if I have to leave what do I bring? Copy of I-797 (which I hope I can get from my employer. I-551 alone I know would not be enough to re-enter.

Second curve ball - if I apply for naturalization (eligible to apply 5/17), would that notice I-797 supersede the other I-797 and I can use that to travel?

For what it's worth, i'm from a non-black listed US-friendly Central European country whose citizens can travel under ESTA.

Thank you for any help!!

Originally posted by Koda56 View Post
    Can I get a stamp I-551 at infopass worhout the original I-797? With a copy? Without I-797 at all? Or do they only issue I-551s after the 1 year extension is up?
    Yes, you should be able to apply for an I-551 stamp if you lost your extension letter.

Second curve ball - if I apply for naturalization (eligible to apply 5/17), would that notice I-797 supersede the other I-797 and I can use that to travel?
    no

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you! So they won't give me a hard time for losing the I-797 and would the I-551 be enough to travel/re-enter? No trips planned but my parents age both older and if they were to fall ill I want to be able to leave on short notice (and obviously come back).

Also, I-551, is that sufficient to show work authorization for a new job (no career changes planned but just in case I get a good offer before my 10 year card arrives).

Comment

Thank you! So they won't give me a hard time for losing the I-797 and would the I-551 be enough to travel/re-enter? No trips planned but my parents age both older and if they were to fall ill I want to be able to leave on short notice (and obviously come back).
        People lose things all the time.

Also, I-551, is that sufficient to show work authorization for a new job (no career changes planned but just in case I get a good offer before my 10 year card arrives).
        Yes, an I-551 stamp in a passport is a List A document for I-9. The extension letter you lost plus your expired green card was also a List C document before you lost it, but not all employers are aware of this. Instead of dealing with all that though, you actually don't need a green card for I-9 at all -- you can use your unrestricted Social Security card (permanent residents are entitled to a Social Security card without restriction text; if you had a Social Security card from before you got permanent residency that has a restriction text, you can go update it at any time), which is a List C document, along with an ID like a driver's license or passport which is a List B document. Employers are very familiar with this, and Social Security cards don't expire, so you don't have that problem.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Similar situation. You can get I 551 stamped at Infopass. Even without the copy.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X