ReEntry Permit Outside USA ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReEntry Permit Outside USA ?

My mother is a US Permanent Resident and has traveled to USA a couple of times. Now she is outside USA and it looks like she will not be able to return to USA within a year. Is it possible for me to apply for her reentry permit while she is outside USA? or is it possible for her to apply at the US Consulate abroad? Please share your experience / advice.

No

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

What is the best option if its not possible to apply for Reentry permit from abroad?

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      No

Comment

Originally posted by kalon2 View Post
        What is the best option if its not possible to apply for Reentry permit from abroad?
        If she can't return to the US (even briefly) within 1 year to apply for a Re-entry Permit, then she will stay out for more than a year, and then when she can return to the US, she can either:

1. Travel to the US on her unexpired green card and hope the officer will agree that she hasn't abandoned residency and let her in; or if he doesn't, don't sign anything to voluntarily give up her green card; if she is put into removal proceedings, hope that the immigration judge will agree that she hasn't abandoned residency and let her in.
        2. Go to the consulate to apply for an SB-1 returning resident visa.

#1 has a higher chance of success than #2.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X