Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green card with a 10year validity and divorce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card with a 10year validity and divorce?

Hello,

I got married to a USC in 2011 in Pakistan, I continued living with my parents afterwards and my ex-husband lived in the US.
    In 2015, my green card application was filed and I was required to appear for an interview at the embassy. During the interview I was asked questions about my marriage and how I maintained contact with my ex-husband. After all queries were satisfied I was assigned a visa. After coming to the US, I received a GC with a 10 year validity.

After living together for almost 19 months things didn't really work out between me and my ex-husband and I decided to separate and filed for a divorce in 2017. Considering my situation I have the following questions. All suggestions and help is appreciated.

1) Am I still on a permanent resident status? Does the divorce affect my status in anyways?
    2) Will I have to complete 5 years on my GC before applying for a citizenship?
    3) What future measures should I consider to maintain a valid status?

Originally posted by ZainShad View Post
    Hello,

I got married to a USC in 2011 in Pakistan, I continued living with my parents afterwards and my ex-husband lived in the US.
    In 2015, my green card application was filed and I was required to appear for an interview at the embassy. During the interview I was asked questions about my marriage and how I maintained contact with my ex-husband. After all queries were satisfied I was assigned a visa. After coming to the US, I received a GC with a 10 year validity.

After living together for almost 19 months things didn't really work out between me and my ex-husband and I decided to separate and filed for a divorce in 2017. Considering my situation I have the following questions. All suggestions and help is appreciated.

1) Am I still on a permanent resident status? Does the divorce affect my status in anyways?
    2) Will I have to complete 5 years on my GC before applying for a citizenship?
    3) What future measures should I consider to maintain a valid status?
    1.Yes
    2.Yes
    3. Divorce changes nothing - all the same conditions like not commit crimes, dont stay overseas for extended time without reentry permit etc remain.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X