No announcement yet.

Applying for citizenship after divorce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for citizenship after divorce?

I got married to a USC in 2011 in Pakistan after which I continued living with my parents and my ex-husband lived in the US. In 2015, my green card application was filed and I was required to appear for an interview at a embassy in Pakistan. During my interview I was asked questions about my marriage and how I managed to keep contact with my ex-husband. After all queries were resolved I was assigned a US visa. After coming to the US I received a green card with a 10year validity(2025). I lived with my ex-husband and in-laws for about 19 months and when things didn't workout I decide to separate and got divorced in 2017.

Considering my situations I have a few questions? I appreciate all your inputs and suggestions.

Is my GC still valid? Has the divorce affected this in anyways?
    Will I have to complete 5 years on my GC and then apply for a citizenship?
    What future measures should I adopt to maintain a valid status?
    If I decide to get married again to someone who is already in the US before my citizenship, can I apply for a GC for that individual?

Originally posted by ZainShad View Post
    I got married to a USC in 2011 in Pakistan after which I continued living with my parents and my ex-husband lived in the US. In 2015, my green card application was filed and I was required to appear for an interview at a embassy in Pakistan. During my interview I was asked questions about my marriage and how I managed to keep contact with my ex-husband. After all queries were resolved I was assigned a US visa. After coming to the US I received a green card with a 10year validity(2025). I lived with my ex-husband and in-laws for about 19 months and when things didn't workout I decide to separate and got divorced in 2017.

Considering my situations I have a few questions? I appreciate all your inputs and suggestions.

Is my GC still valid? Has the divorce affected this in anyways?
    Yes, it is still valid. Divorce does not by itself affect your status. Even if you had a 2-year conditional GC it would still be valid (you would just have to apply for Removal of Conditions based on divorce in that case).

Will I have to complete 5 years on my GC and then apply for a citizenship?
    yes

What future measures should I adopt to maintain a valid status?
    none

If I decide to get married again to someone who is already in the US before my citizenship, can I apply for a GC for that individual?
    Yes, but if you marry someone within 5 years of getting your GC through marriage, and you petition them while you are still a permanent resident, that would require providing an extra high level of evidence that the marriage was not entered into to evade immigration laws. If you petition them as a citizen, or marry them after 5 years of having gotten your GC, that does not apply.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X