How to divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to divorce

So I have read that it is not really possible to cancel your spouse?s green card.

Living with my spouse has become horrible. She has always payed the bills, but more and more she acts like she owns me. After coming to America she has acted worse and worse. She follows me to all my classes, hits me, makes me change my passwords on my phone so she can always see anything I?m doing, yells at me in public, etc.

The problem is that my grandparents co-signed so she could come in America. Although she made more than enough, immigration doesn?t allow the applicant to use their income to get a green card.

Now I am afraid that if I divorce her she will try to make my grandparents pay for her stay in America just to get back at me (her income is from foreign country and parents so it?s not even recorded).

Is there anything I can do, or do I have to wait until she is an American to divorce her safely?

Originally posted by tomsmith1 View Post
    So I have read that it is not really possible to cancel your spouse?s green card.

Living with my spouse has become horrible. She has always payed the bills, but more and more she acts like she owns me. After coming to America she has acted worse and worse. She follows me to all my classes, hits me, makes me change my passwords on my phone so she can always see anything I?m doing, yells at me in public, etc.

The problem is that my grandparents co-signed so she could come in America. Although she made more than enough, immigration doesn?t allow the applicant to use their income to get a green card.

Now I am afraid that if I divorce her she will try to make my grandparents pay for her stay in America just to get back at me (her income is from foreign country and parents so it?s not even recorded).

Is there anything I can do, or do I have to wait until she is an American to divorce her safely?
    you can divorce her now but until she has received her citizenship or I believe possibly removed her conditions, the sponsor is still financially responsible for her. so you can either divorce her now and support her financially until she becomes a citizen, or wait 5+ years(depending on how long she's had her greencard) till she nationalizes in a "horrible" marriage and divorce her and not be held responsible for her. your choice. either way it's not a enjoyable situation for you or your grandparents.
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

This is quite a crazy system, in which the green card holder can change how they act after receiving the green card. Cause you emotional harm every day, slap you, bite you, scream at you in public for not doing little things.... and you are held financially reliable to them no matter what. All this when they are the ones who earn all the money.

What if I traveled with her to another country and throw away her foreign passport/green card? Could she reapply for another without me?

Comment

Originally posted by tomsmith1 View Post
        This is quite a crazy system, in which the green card holder can change how they act after receiving the green card. Cause you emotional harm every day, slap you, bite you, scream at you in public for not doing little things.... and you are held financially reliable to them no matter what. All this when they are the ones who earn all the money.

What if I traveled with her to another country and throw away her foreign passport/green card? Could she reapply for another without me?
        yes as far as I'm aware. it would be the same process as if you lost your drivers license, passport, etc, she can explain what happened, she will pay a fee to replace both, and then they come after you for the replacement costs when they find out you purposely threw them out.
        This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

You are only responsible for maintaining the beneficiary?s living standards at 125% of the poverty guidelines. If it's getting to the point where feel the need to fly to another country and throw away her green card, then seriously, file for divorce. Move somewhere else.
          If you someone hurts you physically, you get a restraining order against them.

Comment

So she pays all the bills here in US, but not reporting her income to IRS! Good luck to her trying to get some money from your grandparents. Before it happens let her deal with IRS!

BTW most of European countries has agreement with US to report to IRS income of USC. Even she is not a USC but hse is GC holder, she must report her income to IRS regardless where from that income or well..., you don't want mess with IRS!
            Last edited by Houston2016; 09-24-2018, 01:56 PM.
            Field Office: Houston, TX
            PD: Nov 14, 2016
            Fingerprints: Dec 15, 2016
            Ready to schedule for interview: Jan 07, 2017
            Interview letter issued: Jul 03, 2018
            Interview scheduled: Aug 07,2018 9:35 am
            Interview was from 10.30 to 11.00 am
            Approved: Aug 07,2018 3:30 pm

Comment

LMAO...please post more. In reality there is little she can sue your grandparents on especially if she is paying the bills. The US government sues your grandparents if she uses government benefits.

Your life sounds brutal do not worry about i-864 worry about your health first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X