Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem renewing driver's license after green card approval?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem renewing driver's license after green card approval?

I had my interview in October 2018 and was approved on the spot. I received my green card and approval notice in the mail in January 2019. My driver's license is soon to expire, and when I went to my local DMV they were unable to renew my license due to my green card application showing as "pending" in their system. I contacted USCIS but all they could tell me was that their system shows my green card application as approved. The DMV gave me a temporary 60 day permit to drive, but I still have no solution or reason as to why their system doesn't reflect my green card approval. Please, any suggestions or advice to navigate this issue is appreciated!

Originally posted by jessdexfit View Post
    I had my interview in October 2018 and was approved on the spot. I received my green card and approval notice in the mail in January 2019. My driver's license is soon to expire, and when I went to my local DMV they were unable to renew my license due to my green card application showing as "pending" in their system. I contacted USCIS but all they could tell me was that their system shows my green card application as approved. The DMV gave me a temporary 60 day permit to drive, but I still have no solution or reason as to why their system doesn't reflect my green card approval. Please, any suggestions or advice to navigate this issue is appreciated!

Hello there. I had a similar problem with DMV a few days ago but when i went to get for the first time my driver's license. Even though i had my EAD card not even 10 days old (1 year almost left to expire) they told me that the system does not saw my status and they have to verify my status first. So, they gave me a "SAVE Verification" number and they told my to check back with that online . That is an inquiry they can put in USCIS official site to verify your status or your eligibility for an immigration benefit as it was in my situation. The answer came back to them the same day. If you do not have the physical green card on hand they may can do it that way. You could ask them. But besides that if you have a letter from USCIS that says they approved your green card, even without the physical card, they should accept it. When i asked my lawyer he told me that a lot of DMVs do not know the immigration issues very well and that is reason some times they give hard time to some people. You could also try to a DMV to an other location, they may be more informed. Good luck. Hope i could help a little bit.

Comment

So you had your interview in October 2018, approval letter in January 2019 and still no GC?
      Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
      Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
      Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
      ---
      All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
        So you had your interview in October 2018, approval letter in January 2019 and still no GC?
        No, I received my green card in January as well. The DMV just would not take the physical items because they said their system still showed my case as pending even though USCIS confirmed with me that everything on their end shows as approved.

Comment

Originally posted by jessdexfit View Post

No, I received my green card in January as well. The DMV just would not take the physical items because they said their system still showed my case as pending even though USCIS confirmed with me that everything on their end shows as approved.
          No way, you have your GC and they don't renew your license? Incredible. Go to other office, talk with supervisor, ask them to request confirmation from DHS.

In Texas they scan all the documents that you provide and then the computer check if you are legal, if it can't get the confirmation at that moment then is a secondary check up and they say they ask DHS to confirm the legal status, after a week or so you get a letter saying 'legal status confirmed, please come back to get your license'.

Have you tried to renew online? I think I read someone say that after GC they were able to renew online for the first time, but each state is different. Good luck and keep us posted.
          Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
          Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
          Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
          ---
          All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Hi there! Just wanted to give a positive update! Decided to go to a different DMV in my county and attempt instead. They saw it as

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X