Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to USA - Personal Belongings

Hello,

I had my IR1 visa approved in June and am planning on moving to the USA in September (from Canada). I'll be entering the USA at a land border.

I've seen different explanations and it's been a challenge to get a straight answer, so posting here is likely my best bet. How does the importing of personal belongings work?
    • Do I need to have a detailed list of everything coming with me?
    • Do I need to provide an approximate value of everything I'm bringing in?
    • How much should I expect to pay when I cross?
    • Does my vehicle need to have the importing documents completed prior to entering the USA? Or can this be done from within the USA?
    I've started packing things and I've kept a list of what's in each box, but I need some details on how specific they'd like me to be. I've heard that I should have receipts for any "bigger" purchases made within the last year, but anything older than that the border guard really isn't interested in.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The customs may ask for the list of your things. You should have it, just in case. It's mandatory to declare duty-free acquisitions, though. Special items you purchased within 12 months before your move must be reported. You'll probably pay an extra charge. Regarding your car, you'll have to fulfill a particular form. Besides, the customs will inspect your vehicle. Be ready to wait there for at least thirty minutes. You'll probably need a moving company in the USA to transport your furniture.
    Last edited by EduardoAlaza331; 12-09-2022, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I found it helpful to have a general list of my belongings. While a detailed list is great, don't stress too much. Just let the border folks know what you're bringing.
      For values, an approximate estimation is fine. I didn't face any issues with that. As for costs, it depends on what you're bringing and any applicable taxes. I'd recommend having some extra cash on hand, just in case. Also, I suggest using a man and van moving service, as they are pretty affordable. I hope that helps!

Comment

I caught your post and wanted to chime in on the whole shebang about moving your personal belongings to the USA. It's no secret that moving across the big pond can be a real bear, especially when it comes to lugging all your prized possessions. My two cents? A long distance moving company might be your best bet for a smooth move. Those pros know their way around packing and shipping like the back of their hand.

When I moved, I was blown away by how much a reliable moving company can take the weight off your shoulders—both literally and figuratively! They can handle everything from packing your knick-knacks with care to navigating customs.​
        Last edited by ShelHarby; 04-19-2024, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I plan to move to the USA too.

Comment

Good luck with that! If you need help with delivering things here and there, Sparkdrive reviews might come in handy. It's always beneficial to check customer feedback to ensure reliable and efficient service. Sparkdrive reviews can provide insights into their delivery reliability, speed, and overall customer satisfaction. Whether you're sending packages or organizing logistics, knowing others' experiences with Sparkdrive can help you make informed decisions and streamline your delivery needs effectively.
            Last edited by amystivens; 06-20-2024, 04:12 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X