Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card through spouse's citizenship

Hi,

My husband is a green card holder and he is eligible to apply for his citizenship this month. I am in US on my H1B visa and it'll expire in Aug'11

While my husband is applying for his citizenship, can he apply for my green card at the same time? Or should he wait till he gets his citizenship and only then can apply for my green card?

Since my H1B has to renewed in Aug, I was just wondering if it is possible to apply for my green card and get the EAD atleast so that I don't have to renew my H1B.

Getting a family-based Green Card is a two-step process. The first step is the "Immigrant Petition" which establishes that a qualifying relationship exists between the U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident and the Green Card applicant. The second step is the Green Card application. If the sponsor is a U.S. Citizen and the Green Card applicant is a spouse, parent or minor child who is currently in the U.S., then these two steps can usually be combined into one. Otherwise, applicants must wait for the Immigrant Petition to be approved before they can move on to the Green Card application. So you need to wait till your husband gets his citizenship and meanwhile you can extend your visa.ALL THE BEST!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X