Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time frame to enter US after issuance of DV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time frame to enter US after issuance of DV?

Hello,
    I was wondering after I am issued my visa, how long do I have to leave my home country and move to the US? Departing ones home country leaves a lot of things to be sorted. Leasing/Selling house, quitting jobs etc. I was wondering how much time they allow for this transition, and if they will mind if your first few years in the US are perforated with a few trips back to our home country?
    Thank you!
    Nicholas.

Originally posted by Jetflash View Post
    Hello,
    I was wondering after I am issued my visa, how long do I have to leave my home country and move to the US? Departing ones home country leaves a lot of things to be sorted. Leasing/Selling house, quitting jobs etc. I was wondering how much time they allow for this transition, and if they will mind if your first few years in the US are perforated with a few trips back to our home country?
    Thank you!
    Nicholas.
    Rephrasing. Once you have your interview, your visa will be affixed to your passport and has a validity of *at most* six months (can be less), counted from the day it was issued. Within those six months you have to travel to the US. That's why it's recommended for you to attend the visa interview as close as possible as the date you plan to travel to the US.

Once you enter the US with your IV, it's OK to travel back and forth the US to anywhere you want - including your home country - and stay there for as long as you want, AS LONG AS THE STAY DOESN'T EXCEED ONE YEAR. If you plan to stay outside the country for more than one year, it is strongly advised to apply for a reentry permit.

In any case:
    * long duration trips outside the US (like "going back to home country to tie down some loose ends") are frowned upon by both USCIS and CBP. Travel to the home country for a reasonable time (a couple weeks) is AOK.
    * traveling for medium or long periods would affect the amount of time necessary for you to become a citizen

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X