Caught Shoplifting- on H1B. please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught Shoplifting- on H1B. please help

I was caught for shoplifting last week and was given a citation (PLFR= petty larceny from retailer) to appear in court on Oct 29th. I don't know what I was thinking, but I made a huge mistake. I am having sleepless nights and miserable days. My court date is in 10 days from now in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I am on a H1B visa and I am planning to go for stamping to India in November. Now since I screwed up so badly I understand that I will have to declare this on my DS-160. This is the first time I have been involved in anything like this (and I know it will be the last time as well).

1. With the help of attorney can the charge be dismissed? How bad is pleading guilty? Should I talk to criminal or immigration attorney?
    2. Will it be a good idea to extend the trial date until after I get back from India after stamping?
    3. What kind of problems will I be facing at visa interview or while re-entering US (If I do not extend the trial date)
    4. How do I go about finding a good attorney... google?

I talked to a criminal attorney, he said if I plead guilty, the case could be dismissed after some community service... Should I listen to him or talk to other attorneys? He also said since I was not taken to jail or police station, I do not have to mention on the DS-160. But based on what I read here, I should mention it on the form. I am confused and scared to death.

Please help.

1.YOu have to contact an attorney who has knowledge in immigration and criminal both.
    2. You should not extend trial date
    3. There may be some delay in your visa but very difficult to say anything
    4. you can find at http://www.immihelp.com/yellowpages/...451-all-0.html or google

YOu should mention this in your DS-160
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Admin, Thanks a lot for your reply. Since I am unable to find any immigration attorney in Tulsa area with the link you provided, will it be a good idea to look for non-local attorney (maybe in dallas area)? I am having hard time finding attorneys who know both immigration and criminal law.
      Also, how extreme can the results be if I plead guilty? Have you heard to cases being dismissed in the past?
      I am sorry to ask all these questions and I am tensed and don't know where to start...

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
      1.YOu have to contact an attorney who has knowledge in immigration and criminal both.
      2. You should not extend trial date
      3. There may be some delay in your visa but very difficult to say anything
      4. you can find at http://www.immihelp.com/yellowpages/...451-all-0.html or google

YOu should mention this in your DS-160

Comment

plz help me understand

I talked to a local criminal attorney and he thinks that I can put NO as I was given only a "Municipal Ordinance citation" (thats what it says on the pink slip). Not sure if he is right....

Comment

Originally posted by ikon321 View Post
          I talked to a local criminal attorney and he thinks that I can put NO as I was given only a "Municipal Ordinance citation" (thats what it says on the pink slip). Not sure if he is right....
          Please share your expirience, we are also in the same boat. You reply will help us. Thanks
          Have you said NO during the VISA interview? was there any problem @ the VIsa interview or the Port of Entry?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X