EAD expiration, and eligibility for unemployment benefit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EAD expiration, and eligibility for unemployment benefit

I have recently had my PERM approved and will be filing my AoS in a few weeks, I currently have an L1b visa, and my wife has an L2.

So the question is relating to my wife's L2-EAD situation and her eligibility for unemployment benefits. Basically her EAD card is still pending, but her current card has expired, and therefore she has left her current employer. We live in San Diego, CA. Does anyone know whether she would be entitled for unemployment benefit even though her EAD card has expired. My other question is whether this could affect our AoS application adversely (because she is claiming a benefit). I would think not as she is the secondary on the application, and unemployment benefits are not a government expense but the employer and she was employed for just under a year with the employer. As we are so close to the green card i just wanted to check on this forum to see if anyone has some advice before we apply for the unemployment benefit. My work lawyers are not sure on this, but think it should be fine.

Thanks

D

Originally posted by permapprovedbrit View Post
    I have recently had my PERM approved and will be filing my AoS in a few weeks, I currently have an L1b visa, and my wife has an L2.

So the question is relating to my wife's L2-EAD situation and her eligibility for unemployment benefits. Basically her EAD card is still pending, but her current card has expired, and therefore she has left her current employer. We live in San Diego, CA. Does anyone know whether she would be entitled for unemployment benefit even though her EAD card has expired. My other question is whether this could affect our AoS application adversely (because she is claiming a benefit). I would think not as she is the secondary on the application, and unemployment benefits are not a government expense but the employer and she was employed for just under a year with the employer. As we are so close to the green card i just wanted to check on this forum to see if anyone has some advice before we apply for the unemployment benefit. My work lawyers are not sure on this, but think it should be fine.

Thanks

D
    Hi, were you able to get an answer to your question. I am in the same situation and would like to know how to proceed?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X