Change of last name after filing for GC through marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of last name after filing for GC through marriage

Hi, I sent my package with my paperwork with my original last name, although in my marriage licence we checked the box that said that I was going to take my husband's last name. I am still waiting for the interview to be scheduled and my employment card is "being produced"
    so I wonder if I would get my card with my new last name of if because I filled all the paperwork with my current last name they wont change it?

I am hoping that when I go to the interview I will be able to explain them and ask them to give me my Green card with my new last name.

Does anyone knows if this is possible? Did I make a mistake filling out my application with my current name?

Please advice!
    Thank you

Originally posted by CarolinaC View Post
    Hi, I sent my package with my paperwork with my original last name, although in my marriage licence we checked the box that said that I was going to take my husband's last name. I am still waiting for the interview to be scheduled and my employment card is "being produced"
    so I wonder if I would get my card with my new last name of if because I filled all the paperwork with my current last name they wont change it?

I am hoping that when I go to the interview I will be able to explain them and ask them to give me my Green card with my new last name.

Does anyone knows if this is possible? Did I make a mistake filling out my application with my current name?

Please advice!
    Thank you

Carolina,

If I'm not mistaking, you should be getting your EAD card with the name that is on your receipts. Mine showed that way; even if when I applied it was with my maiden name but we placed my married name. So all my receipts are showing with my married name.

Hope this helps a bit.

B.Ro

Comment

How did you "placed your married name"?

Originally posted by BIVANIARO View Post
      Carolina,

If I'm not mistaking, you should be getting your EAD card with the name that is on your receipts. Mine showed that way; even if when I applied it was with my maiden name but we placed my married name. So all my receipts are showing with my married name.

Hope this helps a bit.

B.Ro

Hi, Thank you for the info!

By "receipts" do you mean the notice letters etc that we are getting from USCIS regarding our case? Because mine have my maiden name
      Because thats how we filled out all the forms. We thought that because we specify in our married licence that I was going to take my husband last name that was enough and that I had to fill the forms with my current legal name.
      Where did you placed your married name?

Also, how long it took you to get the EAD? I am waiting for mine but still says "My card is being produced"

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinaC View Post
        Hi, Thank you for the info!

By "receipts" do you mean the notice letters etc that we are getting from USCIS regarding our case? Because mine have my maiden name
        Because thats how we filled out all the forms. We thought that because we specify in our married licence that I was going to take my husband last name that was enough and that I had to fill the forms with my current legal name.
        Where did you placed your married name?

Also, how long it took you to get the EAD? I am waiting for mine but still says "My card is being produced"

Yes, sorry, I was meaning the notice letters. As far as the place to where I placed my married name, I quite can't remember as I used a lawyer to fill out my applications and I dont have copies of my applications.(I know I could have done it myself, but my case was complicated at the time). I apologize I can't be of much more help on this issue. Maybe, you could call USCIS and ask them about a name change? Not sure how that will impact your case and the time status.

My EAD time frame is:
        4/25 - received date from USCIS
        5/14 - received notice letter
        5/21- received biometrics appointment letter
        6/1 - Biometrics appointment
        7/25 - called to check on status of EAD
        7/26 - EAD approved
        7/30 - EAD received
        TOTAL 96 days for me to get it.

Hope you get yours soon.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}