Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving license under EAD/AP renewal

Hello,

My C9 EAD/AP expires in 5 days. I just received a "notice of action" for the processing of the renewal I have submitted. Is that "notice of action" enough to renew my driving license whose expiration date was linked to the EAD/AP about to expire? If yes, should the driving license expiry date by linked to the 180 days validity of the "automatic EAD renewal" process (based on C9 category) or to my passport expiry date? (I am C9 because of expired L1 visa and pending concurrent i140&i485.)

Thank you.
    ------------------------
    May 2017: Self i140 (EB2 NIW), self (concurrent), spouse and son i485, EAD and AP submitted to Texas Center.
    End of May 2017: Notice of Action regarding submission (pending status).
    End of August 2017: EAD/AP (C9) received.
    Mid January 2018: L1/2 visas expired.
    Mid July 2018: EAD/AP (C9) renewal submission.
    End July 2018: Notice of Action regarding renewal submission
    Early September 2018: Spouse and son renewed EAP/AP (C9) received.

Hello,

Unfortunately, no... DMV (at least here in CA) does not recognize any USCIS documents other than plastic cards. We are in the exact same boat with my wife (C09), her EAD is expiring in a few months, DL is expiring with it. If the EAD expires, she simply won't have a DL, until she gets a new EAD, then goes back to DMV, waits in line for 5-7 hours, and get a new permit.

Comment

Originally posted by sanyesz84 View Post
      Hello,

Unfortunately, no... DMV (at least here in CA) does not recognize any USCIS documents other than plastic cards. We are in the exact same boat with my wife (C09), her EAD is expiring in a few months, DL is expiring with it. If the EAD expires, she simply won't have a DL, until she gets a new EAD, then goes back to DMV, waits in line for 5-7 hours, and get a new permit.
      Thanks. Indeed, wait is a killer ... especially if one is unsuccessful!
      ------------------------
      May 2017: Self i140 (EB2 NIW), self (concurrent), spouse and son i485, EAD and AP submitted to Texas Center.
      End of May 2017: Notice of Action regarding submission (pending status).
      End of August 2017: EAD/AP (C9) received.
      Mid January 2018: L1/2 visas expired.
      Mid July 2018: EAD/AP (C9) renewal submission.
      End July 2018: Notice of Action regarding renewal submission
      Early September 2018: Spouse and son renewed EAP/AP (C9) received.

Comment

It depends on the state that you are in. Last week, I was able to renew my Florida driver licence with just the 485 and 130 receipt notices - I'm still waiting on EAD.

I went to the DMV and the lady was super helpful. I asked if it was possible to renew with just the 485 and 130 receipt notice, and she said not a problem at all. I just needed to give her my passport, my i94, my 485 and 130 receipt notice, the original marriage certificate and a copy of my wife's passport (US citizen). I was in and out within 15 minutes and have a shiny new driver licence valid for one year.
        Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing - Oakland Park, FL

04/18/18: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
        04/23/18: Priority Date
        04/27/18: 4x I-797 NOA received
        05/04/18: Biometrics notice received
        05/15/18: Courtesy letter for I-693
        05/22/18: Biometrics completed
        05/29/18: Case Ready To Be Scheduled For Interview
        09/25/18: I-765 New Card being produced (via Case Tracker)
        09/26/18: I-765 and I-131 approved (via uscis.dhs.gov)
        10/01/18: Combo card in hand
        06/05/19: Interview scheduled

Comment

Originally posted by sanyesz84 View Post
          Hello,

In California, you can get an AB60 driver's license, which does not require legal presence documents.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Kansas

Kansas does not issue a Driver's License unless you have a valid EAD. The state uses a system called SAVE.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X