Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on what to do...getting worried

Hi Community,

Thanks for viewing my message. I've used this website often during this LONGGGG process and your questions and answers have really helped so far and I need your help again. I'm getting worried about our case. I applied for a K-1 Visa for my husband which went through just fine. We married on Oct. 7, 2017. Everything has been going fairly smoothly, but each step has taken a bit longer than expected. He has his EAD, which will expire on March 9, 2019 as well as his California REAL ID Driver's License. I keep checking on the USCIS website for any updates to our case, but nothing seems to be happening. He had his biometrics done on Dec. 27, 2017 (Yes...2 days after Christmas! Was super annoying, had to shorten a family trip to get back in time as we received the appointment notice only a few weeks prior to Christmas).

Our case status updates on the USCIS website are as follows:
    11/29/2017 We accepted the fingerprint fee for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Our National Benefits Center location is working on your case.

And the latest message and only other update is this:
    "As of June 18, 2018, we are ready to schedule your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, Receipt Number YYYY YYYY X, for an interview. We will schedule your interview and send you a notice. Please follow any instructions in the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address."

We've received nothing in the mail about an interview. The lady who helped with the biometics said my husband would get his green card in about 1 year. The 1 year anniversary would be this December...so I'm not sure what to think. We haven't had an interview yet and I've read the majority of cases have interviews, with only a few cases having enough evidence that they skip the interview stage altogether.

Here are my questions to you.
    1) Do you think it's necessary to apply for a renewal EAD (Because I'm not sure he will be getting a green card any time soon... and we need the money from his work)
    1A) Secondly, on the renewal of the EAD. Does it cost the fee again: $410 + $85 for the biometrics? I think it was waived the first time because we were still in the process but I honestly can't remember.
    2) We want to move as this rental house is too expensive for us but we don't want any green card or interview notices to come to the wrong address. What do you suggest?
    3) Are we missing any step? Why has it taken so many months to get a notice about an interview? Could it be due to lack of case workers? (We're in California)

Thank you for your help! It means so much to me and my husband. This has been such a stressful process and it seems like it never ends.

1. I would go ahead and apply for the renewal. If the interview takes too long, you'll have the extension letter and eventually a new EAD so that he shouldn't lapse in his ability to work. In our case, once I submitted the forms, we got an interview notice that had the same date as the renewal EAD/AP reciepts. It was either a coincidence or the renewals cause somebody to take a look at our case. As you can see in my sig, we sat waiting for an interview for a while too. It has nothing to do with your case, and everything to do with your field office.

1a. EAD doesn't have a fee when filed with a I-485. It asks you to submit a copy of your I-485 receipt and a copy of your current EAD as you'll read in the instruction document.

2. File a change of address with USCIS, make sure you get a receipt from them. Do a change of address with USPS to forward mail. Cross your fingers and hope that USCIS won't send anything important to your old address.

3. If your case is ready to be scheduled for an interview, your case is complete and just needs the interview. It's all on your field office. I'm sure the Cali offices are pretty busy.
    Adjustment of Status c(9) 400 days
    Married: 8/18/17
    Package Sent: 10/16/17 ~~ Received (PD): 10/19/17
    I-485 Status - "Biometrics Fee Received": 10/28/17
    Biometric Appointment (11/16/17) Received: 11/3/17 Done: 11/9/17
    EAD/AP Approved: 1/4/18 (Day 77) Notices & Card Received: 1/11/18
    EAD/AP Renewal Received: 10/4/18
    Interview Notice & EAD/AP Renewal Receipts Received: 10/9/18 (Day 355)
    Interview date: 11/13/18 ~ New Card Being Produced (Day 390)
    Card in hand! 11/23/18 (Day 400)

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X