Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaving the country b4 greencard

We need help!!! Here's our story:

My wife came to the U.S. on a K-1 Visa from Philippines (arrived July 6, 2007). We married w/in the 90 days (September 20, 2007). We were unable to afford the $1010.00 AOS filing fee until late March 2008. The date of receipt of the NOA for the AOS is April 6, 2008. She had her biometrics taken (May, 2, 2008). Everything for the AOS is in order and, ordinarily, we'd have no problem waiting for the interview, etc. (at least we're together).

THE PROBLEM:

My wife's mother just died (this morning) and she very much wants to go home to be with her family and see her mother one last time. Our concern is that she will be unable to re-enter the country b/c she has no green card yet. We've explored Advance Parole but it doesn't seem to apply to us as she entered on a K-1 (not a K-3) Visa. Even if it was an option...it takes too long to get AND between October 4, 2007 (the date on my wife's I-94 Card) and April 6, 2008 (the date USCIS received our AOS application) more than 180 days had passed, during which time she was "out of status." According to the law, as I understand it, if she was to leave the country now (before getting her green card) she would be banned from re-entry for a period of three years. This would hold true EVEN IF she had the appropriate advance travel documents such as AP, due to the fact that she was here "out of status" for more than 180 days. We spoke to one lawyer and he told us "not to chance it" and stay here.

Does anyone have any ideas or know the contact information of someone we could talk to about getting around this? I read that it is possible that Immigration would forego the 3 year ban if we could show "extreme hardship" to me (the U.S. born spouse) and our U.S. born child. If this was the only way for re-entry, is it immediate (upon arrival at the port of entry) or is there a process for it? What is that process?

Anyone know if a letter from a Senator, etc. would help?

My wife needs to leave within one week and we appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

Brian and Daice

If only you had the I485 in, you could get an emergency AP. Now that is ruled out. The 180 days rule will hit you though. Not sure what to suggest.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
      If only you had the I485 in, you could get an emergency AP. Now that is ruled out. The 180 days rule will hit you though. Not sure what to suggest.
      The I-485 [I]is[I] in, just still waiting for our interview. Is an emergency AP different from regular? Or just quicker? About the 180 days rule...know anything about how it kicks in or how/when it is enforced? Would it only be when she arrives back in U.S. that they find out? What will they do? Send her back right away? Detain her? Any info.? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by marcot1997
        The I-485 [I]is[I] in, just still waiting for our interview. Is an emergency AP different from regular? Or just quicker? About the 180 days rule...know anything about how it kicks in or how/when it is enforced? Would it only be when she arrives back in U.S. that they find out? What will they do? Send her back right away? Detain her? Any info.? Thanks.
        If the I485 is pending, go to the local USCIS office with infopass appointment with all documents related to the emergency and try for an AP. It is granted there itself at the discretion of the officer.

There might be a condition that AP should be pending which you can send in immediately to USCIS if she has to travel now. Google for emergency AP.

If she will be allowed back in with AP is questionable but the chances of re-entry is high. Talk to an attorney.
        Last edited by txh1b; 06-19-2008, 08:17 PM.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

note: if she accrued 180 days of illegal presence, she will be subject to a 3 year bar if she leaves before her GC is approved! Even if she uses an approved Advance Parole!

She may be allowed entry, but the IO at the interview will have NO CHOICE but to deny the application for AOS and place her in removal proceedings.

I strongly advice her NOT to leave the country.
          Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Just to be certain...

Is being "out of status" considered illegal presence even though we were married w/in the appropriate time frame? Is it illegal to file AOS late (after 180 days from time her I-94 said she must leave)? Is it really K-1 beneficiaries are expected to leave once they are married if they cannot afford the AOS filing fee right away?

What exactly will alert customs/border patrol officials to this 180 day thing when she comes back?

Thanks.

Comment

ANytime the stay exceeds the I-94 end date, it is illegal presence.

Anyone not maintaining a visa status is out of status which is different from being illegally present.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X