Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP Fees - Spoke to USCIS Customer care

Hi ,

I'm in the process of renewing my and my wife's AP. When I called the USCIS customer service to enquire abt the fees, they said since my I485 was filed in Aug 2007 I don't have to pay any fees.Is it true?

Also the rep said the I need to file for AP renewal in the same service center where I filed I485, even though my current residence doesn't come under the jurisdiction of my I485 filing center. Is that true?

My I485 receipt is dated Aug 15 2007 and amt paid shows $395.

Pls let me know the correct procedure since I have travel plans to India after many years and don't want this AP thing to mess with that.

Thanks a lot.
    Appreciate your response.

Originally posted by sreepal05 View Post
    Hi ,

I'm in the process of renewing my and my wife's AP. When I called the USCIS customer service to enquire abt the fees, they said since my I485 was filed in Aug 2007 I don't have to pay any fees.Is it true?

Also the rep said the I need to file for AP renewal in the same service center where I filed I485, even though my current residence doesn't come under the jurisdiction of my I485 filing center. Is that true?

My I485 receipt is dated Aug 15 2007 and amt paid shows $395.

Pls let me know the correct procedure since I have travel plans to India after many years and don't want this AP thing to mess with that.

Thanks a lot.
    Appreciate your response.

Hi there,
    I am curious why you have reservations about the information you received from the authority on immigration - USCIS. One would think that information holds more weight and is more credible than any of those posted here, and should give you more confidence how to proceed.

Would you rather say " I got the information/directions from USCIS" or " I read it on a forum"? Just saying...

All the best
    Disclaimer:Please bear in mind, my comments are not to be construed as legal advice. These are just my reasonings, based on my personal immigration experience or what I have read. Pay for legal advice or call USCIS to verify my comments.

Comment

Originally posted by mariejm View Post
      Hi there,
      I am curious why you have reservations about the information you received from the authority on immigration - USCIS. One would think that information holds more weight and is more credible than any of those posted here, and should give you more confidence how to proceed.

Would you rather say " I got the information/directions from USCIS" or " I read it on a forum"? Just saying...

All the best
      Not really. USCIS customer service reps have no clue about the law or the memos. The fact is, the person that posted here has to pay the fee for AP if his/her filing was based on the July visa bulletin.

USCIS customer service reps are not aware of the fact that the July bulletin was open till August 17th and the fee was based on the old structure while the new fee structure started earlier than that.

Do not blindly go with what the call center folks said. You have to consult a lawyer than say "followed USCIS 800 number rep's instruction".

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

just to let u know if you did not pay the new fee $1010.00 you need to pay to renew it,,,and by the way some agent at the USCIS call center also give the wrong info,,,, double check with an IO or a lawyer.

Comment

You have to pay the fee

Only if your 485 was filed with the new fee you can waive the fee.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X