Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EAD came... what now?

Hello,

My EAD has just arrived in the mail today. I'm wondering what my next step is. Do I have to go to the Social Security office and get a SSN? Or does that come in the mail too? I'm wanting to get a drivers license and a bank account. I'm just not sure what order to do everything in right now.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------

(Marriage Based AOS)

June 20 - Got married

Beginning of August - Sent in package

August 9 - USCIS received package

September 4 - Biometrics were taken

September 6 - case has been updated fingerprints were taken

October 24 - Received a RFIE

October 31 - Mailed RFIE back to USCIS

November 4 - USCIS received RFIE

February 12 - I485 Interview ready to be scheduled

February 18 - Interview has been scheduled

February 24 - Received appointment notice by mail. Interview Scheduled for March 26

February 27 - EAD has been approved

March 2 - approval notice by mail

March 2 - EAD card has been mailed

March 5 - EAD has arrived by mail

Apply for ssn then you can go ahead apply for your driver’s license as also opening up your bank account

Comment

If you selected to get an SSN on your I-765 form, then you should receive your card in the mail. Usually, it takes a few days. For us, it took 2 weeks.

You can visit the SS office after 7 business days if you didn't receive your SSN, they will tell you if they already worked on your case or if they didn't receive anything from USCIS.
      Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
      Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
      Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
      ---
      All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
        If you selected to get an SSN on your I-765 form, then you should receive your card in the mail. Usually, it takes a few days. For us, it took 2 weeks.

You can visit the SS office after 7 business days if you didn't receive your SSN, they will tell you if they already worked on your case or if they didn't receive anything from USCIS.
        I have similar case. We went to the SS office after 7 business days, they told us they have not received anything from USCIS, and also told us about a directive that we cannot check with them for 3 weeks. Can we just go to SS office and say we did not apply for SSN on I 765 so that they atleast accept our application? If USCIS has not sent the case for more than 7 business days what timeline is it adhering to? We need the SSN quickly to start working.

Comment

Originally posted by gyanisuresh View Post

I have similar case. We went to the SS office after 7 business days, they told us they have not received anything from USCIS, and also told us about a directive that we cannot check with them for 3 weeks. Can we just go to SS office and say we did not apply for SSN on I 765 so that they atleast accept our application? If USCIS has not sent the case for more than 7 business days what timeline is it adhering to? We need the SSN quickly to start working.
          I don't know about that 3-week directive. Is 3-weeks after EAD approved, or EAD received, or your visit to the SS office? I have read several posts in the past that say that they were able to apply for SSN after visiting the office and they didn't have anything yet. I didn't know they changed something to wait 3 weeks.
          ---
          All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Enub4 View Post

I don't know about that 3-week directive. Is 3-weeks after EAD approved, or EAD received, or your visit to the SS office? I have read several posts in the past that say that they were able to apply for SSN after visiting the office and they didn't have anything yet. I didn't know they changed something to wait 3 weeks.
            Yes we heard the 3 week thing for the first time as well- so not sure about how legit it is. 3 weeks from issuance of EAC we were told.
            As you suggested, we are going to another office tomorrow - is there any risk that we may end up with multiple applications if they accept our application tomorrow? Just do not want to take any risk which can delay the process further but want to get done quickly as well. Our experience with all these agencies have been pathetic so mind is filled with skepticism.

Comment

Hi,

I'm currently student with F-1 and just got my EAD card 2 weeks ago. I have 90 days to find a job with my OPT.
              Unfortunately, coronavirus situation affects every business and I can't find a job. What can I do?
              Can I submit an extension request regarding unfortunate situations...

Comment

Apply to Walmart,Publix,Amazon etc. they are hiring.

Comment

With OPT you can't apply to something that is not related with your studies.
                  ---

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X