Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I find out if my I-485 has been abandoned?..left US without I-131 but returned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find out if my I-485 has been abandoned?..left US without I-131 but returned

So a quick summary:
    Applied for I-131 same time as I-485
    Took biometrics, but left the country before receiving I-131 document.
    Received the I-131 document while overseas.
    Returned to the US with the document without any issue at the airport, nor was I told that my I-485 has been abandoned.

Checked online, and I-485 is still pending.

So at this point, what should I do? So is my I-485 automatically abandoned? (ie even if it doesn't say so online?)
    Should I just start a new I-485 application?
    Or should I just wait it out, and see what happens?

Thanks very any tips!

According to the regulations, it has been automatically abandoned. However, you can file another I-485, if you are still eligible.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      According to the regulations, it has been automatically abandoned. However, you can file another I-485, if you are still eligible.
      That was a completely worthless response, but thanks anyway. If you even read my question you would see that I know what the "regulations" are. I didn't come here to ask about that.

Would appreciate any other sincere answers to my question.

Comment

Originally posted by tkyang99 View Post

That was a completely worthless response, but thanks anyway. If you even read my question you would see that I know what the "regulations" are. I didn't come here to ask about that.

So what did you come here to ask about? All immigration applications and processes follow the law and regulations. So if the regulations clearly say it's abandoned, it's abandoned. Even if USCIS isn't aware of it yet, once they find out about the facts of your case, they are required to treat it as abandoned. If they don't, that's a mistake, and you don't want a mistakenly approved application anyway because it can be revoked at any time in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by tkyang99 View Post

If you know so much, why did not you respect the rules ( regulation) before leaving the Country. You asked for help and they try to help you but you become very defensive and arrogant. Hire an immigration attorney.
          05/08/20: I-485, I-765, I-131, I-944 sent to USCIS
          05/13 Rejected due to lack of I-864
          05/27 resubmitted with explanation
          06/03 Rejected again-same reason
          06/13 Resubmitted with I-864
          07/07 Lockbox emailed back and ask to resubmit
          07/09 Filings accepted with PD 05/08/20 (nice)
          08/06 Prior biometrics applied to I485
          08/28 Took biometrics for I-765 only
          09/28 I-765's Cards Ordered
          10/02 EAD/AP received
          04/12 Interview Sched
          05/11 Interview done approval on the spot but no USCIS update online

Comment

In addition, you should have also explained in your post which category you are in. for instance these people should be fine, if not, it is abandoned:

NOTE: Generally, if you are in the United States and have applied for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident, your application will be deemed abandoned if you leave the United States without first obtaining an Advance Parole Document. Your application for adjustment of status generally will not be deemed abandoned, even if you do not apply for an Advance Parole Document before traveling abroad while an adjustment application is pending, if you currently are in one of the following nonimmigrant classifications, and remain eligible for and would be admissible in one of the following categories upon applying for admission at a port-of-entry:

a. An H-1 temporary worker, or H-4 spouse or child of an H-1;
            b. An L-1 intracompany transferee, or L-2 spouse or child of an L-1;
            c. A K-3 spouse, or K-4 child of a U.S. citizen; or
            d. A V-1 spouse, or V-2/V-3 child of a lawful permanent resident.
            05/08/20: I-485, I-765, I-131, I-944 sent to USCIS
            05/13 Rejected due to lack of I-864
            05/27 resubmitted with explanation
            06/03 Rejected again-same reason
            06/13 Resubmitted with I-864
            07/07 Lockbox emailed back and ask to resubmit
            07/09 Filings accepted with PD 05/08/20 (nice)
            08/06 Prior biometrics applied to I485
            08/28 Took biometrics for I-765 only
            09/28 I-765's Cards Ordered
            10/02 EAD/AP received
            04/12 Interview Sched
            05/11 Interview done approval on the spot but no USCIS update online

Comment

Originally posted by Tibwa View Post
              In addition, you should have also explained in your post which category you are in. for instance these people should be fine, if not, it is abandoned:

NOTE: Generally, if you are in the United States and have applied for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident, your application will be deemed abandoned if you leave the United States without first obtaining an Advance Parole Document. Your application for adjustment of status generally will not be deemed abandoned, even if you do not apply for an Advance Parole Document before traveling abroad while an adjustment application is pending, if you currently are in one of the following nonimmigrant classifications, and remain eligible for and would be admissible in one of the following categories upon applying for admission at a port-of-entry:

a. An H-1 temporary worker, or H-4 spouse or child of an H-1;
              b. An L-1 intracompany transferee, or L-2 spouse or child of an L-1;
              c. A K-3 spouse, or K-4 child of a U.S. citizen; or
              d. A V-1 spouse, or V-2/V-3 child of a lawful permanent resident.
              But they would have to re-enter on that type of visa in order for it not to be abandoned, but the OP re-entered on AP (i.e. was paroled).

Comment

You asked a question, someone replied you and you here sounding cocky and disrespectful. Take your arrogant self to an immigration attorney. Mumu.

Comment

Honestly, I think you should be fine. Keep us posted about your case.

Comment

@tkyang99 - Any updates on this? Did you have any issues with I-485 getting approved after you came back?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X