Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American mother, British Father - Born in UK - Please HELP

Hello,
    My name is Ryan, Im 20 and have an American mother and British (England) father.

Im planning on going to america next year and need some advice on the best way to do so.

My mum was born in America and lived there till the age of 10. She then lived in Ireland and also England. She went back to work in the US at when she was 18 for around a year (just over)

She has lived in the UK for the past 15+ years married to my Father at 23 and still considered a US citizen with a US passport only renewed last year.

Looking around, i believe im eligible for something as im under 21 and not married.

What is my best option? Any questions please ask !

Thank You,
    Regards

Ryan F

Was your birth reported to the U.S. Embassy in UK by your mother?
    If so, you have already established a claim to U.S. citizenship, and can proceed with applying for a U.S. passport.

--Ray B

Originally posted by RyanFawcett123 View Post
    Hello,
    My name is Ryan, Im 20 and have an American mother and British (England) father.

Im planning on going to america next year and need some advice on the best way to do so.

My mum was born in America and lived there till the age of 10. She then lived in Ireland and also England. She went back to work in the US at when she was 18 for around a year (just over)

She has lived in the UK for the past 15+ years married to my Father at 23 and still considered a US citizen with a US passport only renewed last year.

Looking around, i believe im eligible for something as im under 21 and not married.

What is my best option? Any questions please ask !

Thank You,
    Regards

Ryan F

Comment

Just asked and sadly was not reported. Any other options?

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      Was your birth reported to the U.S. Embassy in UK by your mother?
      If so, you have already established a claim to U.S. citizenship, and can proceed with applying for a U.S. passport.

--Ray B

Comment

It seems that filing before you turned 18 and mom was in the U.S. might be the basic requirement for your eligibility for derivative citizenship claiming.

It might be worthwhile to go ahead and submit form N-600, while inside the U.S. (and pay the $600 fee) to apply for derivative citizenship based on mom's U.S. citizenship when you were born, but the other criteria may make this a "deal breaker."

--Ray B

Originally posted by RyanFawcett123 View Post
        Just asked and sadly was not reported. Any other options?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X