Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family based Green Card Processing

Hello everyone,

I wanted to write about my experience regarding green card processing sooner but couldn't quite get to it, but im here now and i want to help anybody who is going through the similar situation and looking for some guidance!

Me and my wife were very stressed and overwhelmed when we started green card application process as we didn't knew much!

I want to give a quick background and provide the timeline regarding our application process:

I came to US on F-1 Student visa to get my undergraduate degree, I met my wife(US citizen) during college and we started dating, after a while we moved in together. I graduated college in May 2013 and started working for a company from June 2013 through OPT. Me and my then girlfriend moved to a new city an hour from where i went to college and continued living together. After dating for 15 months we got engaged and slowly started to plan our future together and that's when we needed to look into my immigration situation. We got married on December through Justice of Peace since my wife's parent were not happy of us being together and we couldn't afford a wedding function. After we got married we wanted to get the immigration situation straight soon so that we wouldn't have to leave each other because of immigration. Me and my wife both didn't know how to go about this so we decided to consult with a lawyer and help us with the immigration process.

We decided to hire a lawyer, they seemed pretty good and helpful throughout our process!

First thing our lawyer made us do was get the physical exam done with authorized USCIS physicians, for that they needed all my immunization record and had to get TB test and stuff like that.
    After that was done my lawyer prepared some forms for i-130, i-131, i-485, i-785 so that we could file everything concurrently and the process would get started soon.
    Along with the forms our lawyer told us to submit some documents that would be helpful to prove our bonafide marriage status. we sent our lease for our apartment that had both of our name included, all the utilities bill mailed to our address, pictures of us together that we took throughout our relationship and our tax return forms that we filed jointly!

Below is the detailed timeline of all the processing steps:

1)Our lawyer mailed all the documents to USCIS on 02/17/2014
    2) USICS received all the documents for petition-02/19/2014
    3) USCIS mailed a letter with assigned receipt number-02/24/2014
    4) Cheque Cashed by USCIS (1070+420) 02-25-2014
    5) USCIS sent notice about Biometrics appointement date -02/27/2014
    6) Biometrics appointment at USCIS field office -03/26/2014
    7) i-485 Interview notice mailed-04/09/2014
    8) Interview notice received in mail-04/14/2014
    9) i-131 & i-765 appproved and card production notice -04/25/2004
    10) EAD card production ordered - 04/29/2014
    11) EAD card mailed -05/01/2014
    12) EAD and Advance Parole "Combo card" received -05/02/2014
    13) Interview at USCIS Center -05/12/2014
    14) i-485 approval notice sent for registering new permanent resident status-05/12/2014
    15) i-130 approved, and notice for approval sent to petitioner -05/12/2014
    16) Green Card mailed through usps 2-day priority mail -05/16/2014
    17) GREEN CARD ARRIVED!!! -05/17/2014

And as of our Interview itself, it went by very good. Our immigration officer was very professional and asked us about relevant questions. During our interview we brought huge stack of documents to prove our bonafide marriage and that helped us to take the pressure and make the interview process smoother than we expected!

It was such a relief to get through this all processing and also getting ready to do some part of it again in couple years while removing the condition on my Green card!

I apologize if my post is too lengthy and too wordy, i just wanted to share the detail information if anybody wanted to get the clear idea of the process stepwise. If you guys have any questions or need any help please feel free to comment or message me.

Thanks to Immihelp for bringing this service to all of us!

Congratulations!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryH View Post
      Congratulations!!!!!
      Thank you very much!

Comment

Family based Green Card Processing

Congrats! Yours went through really fast!!!
        Married in Norway August 2013, have an interview scheduled next month yuck

Comment

Originally posted by cdean View Post
          Congrats! Yours went through really fast!!!
          Married in Norway August 2013, have an interview scheduled next month yuck
          I feel your pain, i'm sure you're ready get it over with. Its very frustrating to wait for that long period for USCIS to schedule an Interview. Just be calm and answer each question with ease and be respectful towards the USCIS officer that helps a lot! If you need any answer regarding preparing for the interview let me know. I would be glad to share my experience with you!

Good luck!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X