Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployed, Sponsor, Joint Sponsor Questions

Hello Everyone,

Say a person is unemployed and are filing for their spouse...
    They read that they have to fill out an I-864 form and check the "Unemployed" box and state how long they've been unemployed
    Also, they have to provide past IRS tax returns and other documents that prove that they're unemployed...
    After, they have their joint sponsor fill out an I-864 form and check "Joint Sponsor"...
    And provide all the required documents that they're suppose to give
    IS THIS CORRECT?
    Also.. what if the joint sponsor haven't filed taxes in a couple of years are they still eligible?
    OR..... Should they consider finding another sponsor?

Kand,

If the petitioner is unemployed, he does not have to "prove" he is unemployed. He just responds to the question on the I-864 and provides a date when last worked.

If he did not file a 2013 income tax return, he should include a signed and dated statement explaining why he was not required to file a 2013 income tax return.

A joint sponsor must provide proof of ongoing income (earned or fixed) that will annualize to meet the sponsorship requirements. If the joint sponsor did not fie a 2013 income tax return, he must also provide a statement explaining why (if not required to file), or fine a tax preparer and submit a 2013 tax return (or prepare the tax return himself, since it it not exactly "rocket science" to prepare a simple 1040-EZ return).

--Ray B

Originally posted by KandD View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Say a person is unemployed and are filing for their spouse...
    They read that they have to fill out an I-864 form and check the "Unemployed" box and state how long they've been unemployed
    Also, they have to provide past IRS tax returns and other documents that prove that they're unemployed...
    After, they have their joint sponsor fill out an I-864 form and check "Joint Sponsor"...
    And provide all the required documents that they're suppose to give
    IS THIS CORRECT?
    Also.. what if the joint sponsor haven't filed taxes in a couple of years are they still eligible?
    OR..... Should they consider finding another sponsor?

Comment

Ok.. Thanks but what if they haven't filed taxes in over 5 years?
      they should either provide the letter stating why or file for the backed up years?

Comment

The co-sponsor should only address the issue of not filing an income tax return for the most recent tax year, 2013. If he had sufficient taxable income, he should go ahead and file an income tax return for 2013 and include a copy with his sponsorship documents.

--Ray B

Originally posted by KandD View Post
        Ok.. Thanks but what if they haven't filed taxes in over 5 years?
        they should either provide the letter stating why or file for the backed up years?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X