Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Unmarried son over 21 of US citizen

Hello!

I’d like to have advices about “Family based greencard”.

Here’s my prob:

I’m the son of a US citizen and I’m over 21 years old and unmarried.
    I always lived with my parents (I live in Europe) and, my mother and I, are filling our documents to immigrate in the US.
    My mother is an immediate relative, things are moving quickly but I need to wait for my visa. (I saw it takes around 7 years, which is a really long waiting time…)

Does another legal way exist to let me immigrate with my parents?

In my father’s side :
    - my father is American
    - my grandpa was American (Was Sergeant in the US Army)
    - my great grandfather was American, ... and so on since around 5 generations…

Well I thought things will have been easier, because I really have American roots.
    My grandpa often went back to the USA, though my father didn’t go back.

I never been in the USA, but I can’t imagine myself staying here without my parents…

In my story there’s a thing that bothers me a lot, at my birth my father asked if it was possible for me to acquire the US citizenship but the city hall of our country told us it wasn’t possible. But with what I read on USCIS I know it was clearly possible under certain conditions that were eligible at this time… Well, my father should have asked this to the US Embassy but we can’t change the past…

Thanks for reading, I tried to be as clear as possible.
    Sorry if there are grammar mistakes and sorry if it's a question often asked, each case is different...

If your U.S. citizen father had reported your birth to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and included proof of his paternity, the stage would have been set for you to claim U.S. citizenship and a passport. I don't understand why you would have inquired of a local city hall in your country about your possible U.S. citizenship eligibility, as hearsay opinion is the best you can expect from that type of inquiry.

Do your family records include a "Report of Birth Abroad" document, and/or does your birth cert report your father as a U.S. citizen?

Unfortunately, once you have turned age 18, claiming U.S. citizenship while outside the U.S. may not be possible.

--Ray B

Originally posted by CurtJohn View Post
    Hello!

I’d like to have advices about “Family based greencard”.

Here’s my prob:

I’m the son of a US citizen and I’m over 21 years old and unmarried.
    I always lived with my parents (I live in Europe) and, my mother and I, are filling our documents to immigrate in the US.
    My mother is an immediate relative, things are moving quickly but I need to wait for my visa. (I saw it takes around 7 years, which is a really long waiting time…)

Does another legal way exist to let me immigrate with my parents?

In my father’s side :
    - my father is American
    - my grandpa was American (Was Sergeant in the US Army)
    - my great grandfather was American, ... and so on since around 5 generations…

Well I thought things will have been easier, because I really have American roots.
    My grandpa often went back to the USA, though my father didn’t go back.

I never been in the USA, but I can’t imagine myself staying here without my parents…

In my story there’s a thing that bothers me a lot, at my birth my father asked if it was possible for me to acquire the US citizenship but the city hall of our country told us it wasn’t possible. But with what I read on USCIS I know it was clearly possible under certain conditions that were eligible at this time… Well, my father should have asked this to the US Embassy but we can’t change the past…

Thanks for reading, I tried to be as clear as possible.
    Sorry if there are grammar mistakes and sorry if it's a question often asked, each case is different...

Comment

My birth wasn't report to the US Embassy, I don't have a "Report of Birth Abroad" document.
      Now I understand it's clearly too late... (I'm 24)

Let's imagine this: (We're in the future and I still need to wait while my mother is allowed to live/work in the US)
      Does it change something for me if my parents have bought a house in the USA?
      Though the only possible way for me to be legaly and physically in the US is with a touristic visa.
      In this way, is it possible to do an adjustment of status?

Thanks for your answer!

Comment

You can't do an Adjustment of Status unless your status is "immediate priority" or have been petitioned for a quota visa and your Priority Date is now current.

--Ray B

Originally posted by CurtJohn View Post
        My birth wasn't report to the US Embassy, I don't have a "Report of Birth Abroad" document.
        Now I understand it's clearly too late... (I'm 24)

Let's imagine this: (We're in the future and I still need to wait while my mother is allowed to live/work in the US)
        Does it change something for me if my parents have bought a house in the USA?
        Though the only possible way for me to be legaly and physically in the US is with a touristic visa.
        In this way, is it possible to do an adjustment of status?

Thanks for your answer!

Comment

Ah yeah right, I forgot this... There's so much different things to know... Thanks for your answer!

One last question:
          When the documents of my mother will be ok to live and work in the USA, can't we delay my parents departure to match my case? Like this, when my documents will be ok (apparently in about 7 years) we will live in the US?
          I hope I'm understood ah ah

It's really really weird... When I think I was able to obtain my citizenship
          I don't understand why I'm not an immediate relative, just because I'm over 21... Well it's the rules.

Thanks for your answer! It's really hard to get help about US immigration.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X