Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to send the I-864 form for parent's immigrant visa application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to send the I-864 form for parent's immigrant visa application?

I am a petitioner and sponsor for my mother's immigrant visa. She's currently in Russia (Moscow). I am a US Citizen, residing in the US. I can't figure out when to send the I-864 (I-864EZ) form. Here is where I am in the process:

- I filed the I-130 petition and got an approval.
    - I completed the DS-261 application to make myself an agent for the applicant (my mother is 79 y.o. and doesn't speak English, so I'm doing everything for her).
    - I paid the Affidavit of Support (AOS) fee (online) and completed the I-864EZ form (with supporting docs, such as W-2, tax returns, etc). It shows the PAID status.

Now, I am not sure what to do next. The instructions are ambiguous. They say that I need to collect the AOS docs, collect the required IV docs (applicant's birth cert, police report, etc) and send them as one package. They explicitly state that if there are missing papers, there'll be a delay in processing. But I assume that I'd need to pay the Immigrant Visa (IV) filing fee before I send all forms, and the option to pay the IV fee is disabled. It has been over a month since I paid the AOS fee, so I was waiting for the website to allow me to pay the IV fee and I have a feeling that it's disabled on purpose.

So I am wondering if the instructions are bad and I need to submit the I-864 papers first. I have the cover letter for the I-864 form, so the only thing that stops me from sending it is the instructions that suggest that all papers should be send at once. I send an email to immigration a few weeks ago, but got no response. Tried to call, too, but the line was too busy, so I could not even get into the queue. Can someone confirm that it's okay to submit the I-864 form with supporting docs first or should I wait for something else?

Thanks.

You can send them I-864 before the other documents but I recommend that get the other docs before you send. By sending it early wont process your case quickly. You can send stuff to nvc as long as you have the letter. They will send you a checklist for what you need on the petitioners mailing address like PCC, passport copies etc...

To contact NVC I think you hardly get any reply. You have to keep calling them if you have any question. You must keep redialing after you get the busy phone tone. I had to to keep redialing one day for over 5 mins. Once I get the busy tone I disconnect and redial again. That's the only way to get through.

Comment

Thanks, Jot18. I'm not trying to get it faster. Just don't want to create a problem for myself. Just wish the instructions were clear.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X