Form I-864a vs. joint sponsorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form I-864a vs. joint sponsorship

My son wants to sponsor his wife (they have been married about a year) but does not meet the financial requirements since he is a full-time student. I am willing to sponsor her but din't know what to do. It looks like I can just fill out form I-864a and have my son submit it along with his I-864 and application.

Can he do so, i.e., fill out I-864 and submit it along with I-864a (which I fill out and provide my tax records), or do we both need to fill out I-864?

You can be listed on his I-864 as a household member co-sponsor, then submit a separate I-864A.

But a separate I-864 from you will likely be a smoother sponsorship package.

--Ray B

Originally posted by DrJ View Post
    My son wants to sponsor his wife (they have been married about a year) but does not meet the financial requirements since he is a full-time student. I am willing to sponsor her but din't know what to do. It looks like I can just fill out form I-864a and have my son submit it along with his I-864 and application.

Can he do so, i.e., fill out I-864 and submit it along with I-864a (which I fill out and provide my tax records), or do we both need to fill out I-864?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      You can be listed on his I-864 as a household member co-sponsor, then submit a separate I-864A.

But a separate I-864 from you will likely be a smoother sponsorship package.

--Ray B
      Thanks for the quick response. It seems that the I-864A is made for a situation like the one we face, except, of course, if my son doesn't qualify for the I-864. Does he need to fulfill any financial requirements to be able to submit it in the first place?

Comment

The son is the primary sponsor and must submit an I-864, whether he has income or not.

--Ray B

Thanks for the quick response. It seems that the I-864A is made for a situation like the one we face, except, of course, if my son doesn't qualify for the I-864. Does he need to fulfill any financial requirements to be able to submit it in the first place?

Comment

HI - I just went through the same exact process. My wife did not meet the requirements to sponsor my Green Card. There are a few ways you can do this:

1) Joint sponsor (which is the most common): Both the petitioner (your son), and the joint sponsor (you) will need to fill out I-864 forms. He needs to list all of his income, tax returns, proof of citizenship etc. and the same goes to you. As long as you have enough income to fulfill the requirement, it will be ok.

2) Assest: You can use assets to fulfill the financial requirement. However, you need to have assets that are worth 3 times what is required to show through income. Example, your son will need to show about $19900 (roughly) in income or $57,000 (roughly) in assets. Quick answer is yes, you can use assets, but unless you have something substantial like a house, it is tough.

3) Immigrant's income: If your son's wife has been working in the US (legally) for 10 years, and have been paying into Social Security, you can file a waiver with the USCIS and have the financial requirement waived. This is not very common, but it IS possible. Remember, she has to have at least 10 years worth of income and it has to be legal employment.

Overall, the joint sponsor route is the least painful way.

Good luck!
          --------------------------------------
          Arrived in the US in 1997 on a F1
          I-130 / I-485 / Medical / I-134 sent in 12/10/2014
          I-130 / I-485 / Medical / I-134 confirmation of receipt 12/14/2014
          Biometrics 01/15/2015
          I-131 approved 02/23/2015
          I-765 approved 02/23/2015
          EAD / Advanced parole card arrived 02/27/2015
          Interview 07/06/2015
          I-130 / I-485 approved 07/07/2015
          Welcome notice email 07/09/2015