Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boyfriend with green card moving back to US for his work - how to accompany him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyfriend with green card moving back to US for his work - how to accompany him?

Hi,

I have been reading a lot online but unfortunately it all seems quite confusing to me. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice.

I'm Mexican and am currently living in the UK on a resident card visa. I moved here about 2 years ago. My boyfriend, who holds the green card, and with whom I have been together for over 5 years has been staying here with me for his work (with a re-entry permit). Now he needs to move back to the US and wants me to come with him. Unfortunately it seems more difficult that anticipated, since I do not just want to come as visitor, but want to be able to work in the US as well, just like I can in the UK.

My boyfriend’s company has frequently sponsored people to move to the US and those people were able to bring their spouses, children, etc. It seems that this time it’s not possible, just because he already holds a green card. Is that true? What other options would the company have to get me over as well, on the back of him going back to the US and continuing to work for the same company? After all this must happen all the time, and large corporations typically do not want to separate the family..? Please let me know.

Alternatively, since we’ve been together for so long, is there any way to declare us being domestic partners, which would allow me to get a visa to be with him? Again, his company would try anything to make this happen, but we need to have a good idea in advance of what we need to do.

Last but not least, I know I could get married to him, but apparently only in the UK, since a fiancé visa like the K-1 doesn’t seem to apply to green card holders, only US citizen. However, even if I do that, the waiting times seem huge; I read that it can take up to two years! How long would I need to wait? (I heard Mexicans have the worst waiting period).

Note, I currently hold a B1/B2 visa for the US, which expires in 2017. Is it realistic that I move to the US first (without a job) and then try to get an H1B visa? Or something like that?

Lastly, I do work for a multinational corporation with subsidiaries in the US, but it seems very unlikely that they would offer me a sponsorship for the US, mostly because I am relatively new there and only hold a junior position. But maybe you guys can think of some way nonetheless.

Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated!

Thank you for your replies

Alice

Any ideas?

Comment

USCIS don't recognize Domestic partnership. Plus, he is green card holder which puts lots of restriction or wait period to whomever he plans to bring to US as Immediate relative with Mexico nationality. From your detailed post, it seems you already explored multiple options.

Either move to US on visitor visa and ONLY work when some company sponsors you. As word of caution - I don't know your field of expertise but it is not easy to find employer who is willing to spend $4-5K for H1b sponsorship (I've worked on H1B for 5 years & holds Master degree). Plus, this days getting H1b has become more tough than 5 years back. But, nothing is impossible. Best way to determine is to look at same position in US and research on salary paid for that position if it is less than US$50,000 - chances are slim. If your job is something which is also available in Universities etc., there is good chance even for low salary positions because they have low H1b filing fees and no limit on # of H1bs (ie no competiton)
      Is your BF eligible for US Citizenship? If you explore this option - you'll able to move on K1 visa and get married in USA. Once you file application for Green card, you'll receive work permit in less than 90 days since application filed.

I strongly recommend consulting with best lawyer in US over telephone, it will cost you anywhere $50-200.
      Last edited by GC0102; 02-18-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X