Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Affidavit of support (i864)

Goodday Ladies/Gents:

Thank you so much for all the advice on this website. It has helped me understand a lot about how the process works.

Background: I am a USC, and I got married to an F-1 student about a year ago.

My wife and I have filled out all the necessary forms and we're pretty confident about everything, but the affidavit of support (i864). Our concerns are as follows:

1. I am the petitioner/sponsor and my AGI for the last 3 tax years have been well below the poverty line ($0, $3000, $15000), however, I recently got a new job with a total projected earning of over $30000... Even though my projected 2016 income is above 125% of the HHS Poverty Guidelines for myself, my wife and child, I'm worried that the huge gap between my past tax returns and this new number might be a problem. I have attached an unofficial statement of my earnings as shown on my company's employee's selfservice site, but we're still not confident enough. Should we be worried, or should we find another way?

2. Would hiring a lawyer help with the aforestated issue? We were going to do this ourselves, but this issue has given birth to doubts.

3. Would including my wife's earnings from an internship help?

4. Just a side question, Are the following enough for proof of marriage: marriage license, joint tax return, joint auto insurance, voided checks with our names, affidavits from my sister and father-inlaw, and I ???

Thanks for you anticipated/expected illumination/help/answers.

1. you can find co-sponsor or joint sponsor, https://https://www.immihelp.comhttp...it-of-support/
    2. No.
    3. You can show joint income
    4. In addition to those, you can have some wedding photographs.

More information on Affidavit of support process,
    This is not a legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jnk View Post
      1. you can find co-sponsor or joint sponsor, https://https://www.immihelp.comhttp...it-of-support/
      2. No.
      3. You can show joint income
      4. In addition to those, you can have some wedding photographs.

More information on Affidavit of support process,
      https://www.immihelp.com/i-864-affid...pport-process/
      Thank you so much for your answers.
      Due to the time constraints involved and my belief system, getting a joint sponsor might be difficult at the moment.
      I will get a letter from my employer stating my current yearly income and benefits, and hopefully that would be enough. What do you think?
      Also, I will attach a collage of our wedding photos.

Comment

Originally posted by capt.jay7 View Post
        Thank you so much for your answers.
        Due to the time constraints involved and my belief system, getting a joint sponsor might be difficult at the moment.
        I will get a letter from my employer stating my current yearly income and benefits, and hopefully that would be enough. What do you think?
        Also, I will attach a collage of our wedding photos.
        I had the same issue with my husband. He didn't meet the requirements from the previous years, but now he does with his current employer. Unfortunately, they do not care if he can prove that he can sponsor me NOW. I asked the question in person at the USCIS office and they told me he needs to prove he HAD enough to support me in the past 3 years. We are using my assets to prove support, because just like you, I don't have a joint sponsor available. ( I actually do have, but I don't want to ask if we can solve the problem ourselves...)

Your wife's income do help. Also if she has any assets would help too.

You can hire someone who will cost a lot less than a lawyer and I think that's what I'll do. There is a list of cheaper places that offers help on the oasis website. Just be carefull with scams. Here is the link that you can find the list: https://www.uscis.gov/avoid-scams

Comment

I'm in the same position as you guys... My husband is a sponsor and he is above poverty level this year , but last year he was working just 4 months, the rest of the year he was in school. So I'm really worried now that we will get an RFE letter and it will delay my process. But on other hand we have joint assets, money on our joint saving account.Would it help if it is not only his money ,but both of us as I work as well with CPT?

Comment

1. I had the same issue when sponsoring for my mom. I was in college and didn't make much, but now having a job with high enough income. I did ask a lawyer and I was told that you can ask the employer to provide a letter for proof of income. You can ask your wife to get one too if possible. The higher, the better If there is anyone agrees to cosign, it'll be great.
            2. It's my opinion but I don't think you need to hire a lawyer unless your wife has some immigration issues.
            3. Answered in 1
            4. It's true that for documentation, you don't need to provide much, but be prepared for the interview. You should bring as many photos as possible including when you're dating, your wedding ceremony, wedding reception, ...

Comment

What about the assents? Would it help?

Comment

how did it go?

Hello everyone,

I am wondering the exact same thing now as I hope to apply for parents. I basically make over 125% now but last 3 years I was studying. Did you all end up having to get joint sponsors? Did you at least get approved after that? I am so nervous I'd hate to waste $$ on fees if denied. Thank you all for your wonderful posts!

Comment

Originally posted by PAClassof2019 View Post
                  Hello everyone,

I am wondering the exact same thing now as I hope to apply for parents. I basically make over 125% now but last 3 years I was studying. Did you all end up having to get joint sponsors? Did you at least get approved after that? I am so nervous I'd hate to waste $$ on fees if denied. Thank you all for your wonderful posts!
                  You can include your parents assets to be considered for Affidavits of Support.

Comment

Petitioner’s incone under poverty line

Originally posted by capt.jay7 View Post
                    Goodday Ladies/Gents:

Thank you so much for all the advice on this website. It has helped me understand a lot about how the process works.

Background: I am a USC, and I got married to an F-1 student about a year ago.

My wife and I have filled out all the necessary forms and we're pretty confident about everything, but the affidavit of support (i864). Our concerns are as follows:

1. I am the petitioner/sponsor and my AGI for the last 3 tax years have been well below the poverty line ($0, $3000, $15000), however, I recently got a new job with a total projected earning of over $30000... Even though my projected 2016 income is above 125% of the HHS Poverty Guidelines for myself, my wife and child, I'm worried that the huge gap between my past tax returns and this new number might be a problem. I have attached an unofficial statement of my earnings as shown on my company's employee's selfservice site, but we're still not confident enough. Should we be worried, or should we find another way?

2. Would hiring a lawyer help with the aforestated issue? We were going to do this ourselves, but this issue has given birth to doubts.

3. Would including my wife's earnings from an internship help?

4. Just a side question, Are the following enough for proof of marriage: marriage license, joint tax return, joint auto insurance, voided checks with our names, affidavits from my sister and father-inlaw, and I ???

Thanks for you anticipated/expected illumination/help/answers.
                    I have the same issue here.
                    My husband’s income of the past three year is very similar to the one above. The most recent year’s income was about $15,000. We want to use our saving account as assets to make up for the difference. As I have researched, the assets should be at least 3 times the difference (in case of sponsoring a spouse.) The poverty line for our household is $20,025, so does a minimum of $15,075 of account balance is good enough or do we need to have a joint sponsor no matter what?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X