Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I864 questions regarding co-sponsor for sibling with a H1B husband

Hi all,
    My dad is the principal sponsor for my sister to come to the US. He didn't have enough income so I will be the co-sponsor, me and my spouse (H1B status) are currently live with my parents so I'm planning to file I864A as the co-sponsor. We (me and sposue) recently get married (December 2015) and file the 2015 tax jointly so that I can sponsor him for his adjustment of status as well (this is when it gets confusing).

In this case, I assume he cannot help in the sponsoring process with my sister since he's out of status. However, our income is listed jointly on the tax transcript, so when I'm co-sponsoring for my sister, do I include our total income (me and my spouse) or just my income?

My income alone is above the required threshold so does that mean my husband doesn't have to file any form regarding the sponsor for my sister?

It's really confusing for me as to whether what form and how to explain my situation so any comments or suggests are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Originally posted by dtram52 View Post
    Hi all,
    My dad is the principal sponsor for my sister to come to the US. He didn't have enough income so I will be the co-sponsor, me and my spouse (H1B status) are currently live with my parents so I'm planning to file I864A as the co-sponsor. We (me and sposue) recently get married (December 2015) and file the 2015 tax jointly so that I can sponsor him for his adjustment of status as well (this is when it gets confusing).

In this case, I assume he cannot help in the sponsoring process with my sister since he's out of status. However, our income is listed jointly on the tax transcript, so when I'm co-sponsoring for my sister, do I include our total income (me and my spouse) or just my income?

My income alone is above the required threshold so does that mean my husband doesn't have to file any form regarding the sponsor for my sister?

It's really confusing for me as to whether what form and how to explain my situation so any comments or suggests are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
    If you are co-sponsoring, you will need to file I-864 and then you can fill out I-864A to count in your spouse's earning. If you don't want to add your spouse's earning you can just fill out I-864, send in tax returns that are filed jointly but also send in an employment verification letter from your employer that states your position, the years you have been working there and the salary per year.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X