Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I-130 Priority Date is close but I want to get married - What do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-130 Priority Date is close but I want to get married - What do I do?

Here is a quick background:

My i-130 has been approved and my priority date is in about a year and a half. (I'm listed as unmarried son over 21 being sponsored by my father)

Here's my situation:

I'm engaged and want to get married but I'm unsure what the correct next steps are for my immigration.
    (I'm a Canadian citizen and she's a Korean Citizen)

Do I wait till after I get the green card to get married or do I get married before?
    Is there a way that we can both go together, minimize waiting times and be eligible to work once we arrive or within a reasonable amount of time?

I've seen a few conflicting answers but thought I'd reach out to this forum for some help.

Fingers crossed.
    Thanks so much!

If your green card is pending as unmarried person, and if you get married, your pending petition will be downgraded and it will add many years to the wait.

Therefore, you should wait to get the green card.

If you can't wait to get married, you will get the green card later.

Therefore, you decide.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

As being a husband of a wife and a baby to be born and have tremendous stress about getting greencard for my family members,
      I think it's just better to wait for marriage. How about living together, just delay the marriage? Marriage seems very big event to you for now,but it's not. It is just quote or promise you will live with your wife for now on.
      You can also have a baby while not in marriage, which is also beneficial if she is eligible for medicaid. Giving birth in US costs a lot without insurance.

Having marriage officially doesn't mean any comparing to the security of either of your immigration status if you plan to live in US. If I were you, I explain the situation to your fiance and keep your current filing status.

Originally posted by Aswerty View Post
      Here is a quick background:

My i-130 has been approved and my priority date is in about a year and a half. (I'm listed as unmarried son over 21 being sponsored by my father)

Here's my situation:

I'm engaged and want to get married but I'm unsure what the correct next steps are for my immigration.
      (I'm a Canadian citizen and she's a Korean Citizen)

Do I wait till after I get the green card to get married or do I get married before?
      Is there a way that we can both go together, minimize waiting times and be eligible to work once we arrive or within a reasonable amount of time?

I've seen a few conflicting answers but thought I'd reach out to this forum for some help.

Fingers crossed.
      Thanks so much!

Comment

If you marry and don't report the marriage status as a change, then enter the U.S. as a petitioned single entrant, visa fraud will have been committed, and you could be given a lifetime or 10-year bar from reentry. In addition, if you are successful in entering the U.S., then (or later) petition your Korean babe, she will be subject to potential deportation.

--Ray B

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
        If your green card is pending as unmarried person, and if you get married, your pending petition will be downgraded and it will add many years to the wait.

Therefore, you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by immihelp View Post

Therefore, you decide.
          That makes sense. So... if we wait to get married, is she able to come with me? Will she be able to work while we're there?

Thanks so much for your help everyone.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X