New passport name not matching old passport and expired green card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New passport name not matching old passport and expired green card

My mom first travelled to US back in 97 and got her green card through my brother. At that time her name on her passport and green card were spelled a particular way. She travelled back to Nepal and her green card expired. Nineteen years later she renewed her passport and unknowingly her name on the new passport was spelled slightly differently. We applied for her visitor visa with the new passport and the new spelling and the visa was approved. She travelled to the US with the visitor visa without any problem. Now I would like to apply for her green card again. Can I apply for her green card with the new passport that has slightly differently spelled name or will I need to get the name on her passport corrected to the original spelling?

Originally posted by Sachin N Pradhan View Post
    My mom first travelled to US back in 97 and got her green card through my brother. At that time her name on her passport and green card were spelled a particular way. She travelled back to Nepal and her green card expired. Nineteen years later she renewed her passport and unknowingly her name on the new passport was spelled slightly differently. We applied for her visitor visa with the new passport and the new spelling and the visa was approved. She travelled to the US with the visitor visa without any problem. Now I would like to apply for her green card again. Can I apply for her green card with the new passport that has slightly differently spelled name or will I need to get the name on her passport corrected to the original spelling?
    Good evening Sachin, I am not an attorney!
    Has your mother been in Nepal for the last 19 years?
    If so then CBP considers her abandoning her Green Card.
    If thats the case you will need to have her re-apply and begin the whole process over again.

Comment

I know I need to reapply for her green card, but my question is do I need to get her passport in original spelling or use her current passport with a slightly different spelling.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X