Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-864 Advice...help!

Good Day!

I am a U.S. Citizen, living abroad with my non-US Citizen husband and our 3 U.S. citizen children. We have been married 8 years, and had to move abroad as my husband was on a government contract with his home country for 6 years. His contract is now up and we would like to go back to the U.S.

I am a homemaker, I have been since 2009, before that I was a student and never really had an income to have to file tax returns.

I know that we will need a sponsor to help, which we have lined up, but which forms do we fill out and how???

Do I fill out form I-864 and our sponsor fill out the I-864A??? Or do we both fill out form I-864??? I have seen conflicting notes on this.

Also, I am already stumped on Part 1 the first question on the I-864...Do I select 1.a or 1.e???

Item Number 1.a. Select this box if you are the petitioner who is filing or who has already filed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for a family member

Item Number 1.e. Select this box if you are either of two joint sponsors

I am the petitioner who will have filed the I-130, but I cannot sponsor my husband....so do I need to check 1.e???

hopefully someone can help me

You, as the petitioner, must be a sponsor, and must fill out I-864. The joint sponsor is another sponsor, and must fill out I-864.

You select "1.a", I am the petitioner. The joint sponsor selects "1.d", I am the only joint sponsor. There is only one joint sponsor (and can only be one joint sponsor in this case). Each immigrant can only have one joint sponsor. Two joint sponsors are only possible in cases where multiple people are immigrating on the same petition (principal + derivatives), and the two joint sponsors split up the immigrants among them.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      You, as the petitioner, must be a sponsor, and must fill out I-864. The joint sponsor is another sponsor, and must fill out I-864.

You select "1.a", I am the petitioner. The joint sponsor selects "1.d", I am the only joint sponsor. There is only one joint sponsor (and can only be one joint sponsor in this case). Each immigrant can only have one joint sponsor. Two joint sponsors are only possible in cases where multiple people are immigrating on the same petition (principal + derivatives), and the two joint sponsors split up the immigrants among them.
      Thank you so much!!!!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X