Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of Status applying for a Green Card through marriage with Permanent Resident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Status applying for a Green Card through marriage with Permanent Resident

It is my first post, so hello everyone!

I need to clarify some misinformation before we submit a I-130 Petition for Alien Relative. I originally had a J-1 exchange visitor visa, after that B-2 tourist extension and in the end was denied a change to F-1. I have been out of status for 4.5 years already (wow! time flies). In the meantime I started living with my fiance who won lottery and got a Green Card in Nov 2013.

Since immigration is a hot topic now, we decided to get married, submit a I-130 and wait until my priority date is current or she becomes a citizen. We did not do it before, because I do not want to cause any issues during her naturalization. Also, according to instructions to I-485, I am not eligible to Adjust my Status because my authorized stay expired and she is not a citizen.

Questions here:
    a) can marriage with out of status alien cause trouble during naturalization?
    b) will I have to leave the country if my priority date becomes current before she becomes a citizen? I will be subject to 10 year ban.

Please advise.

Originally posted by tomasz View Post
    It is my first post, so hello everyone!

I need to clarify some misinformation before we submit a I-130 Petition for Alien Relative. I originally had a J-1 exchange visitor visa, after that B-2 tourist extension and in the end was denied a change to F-1. I have been out of status for 4.5 years already (wow! time flies). In the meantime I started living with my fiance who won lottery and got a Green Card in Nov 2013.

Since immigration is a hot topic now, we decided to get married, submit a I-130 and wait until my priority date is current or she becomes a citizen. We did not do it before, because I do not want to cause any issues during her naturalization. Also, according to instructions to I-485, I am not eligible to Adjust my Status because my authorized stay expired and she is not a citizen.

Questions here:
    a) can marriage with out of status alien cause trouble during naturalization?
    b) will I have to leave the country if my priority date becomes current before she becomes a citizen? I will be subject to 10 year ban.

Please advise.
    On a serious note, I'll advise you to contact an experience attorney. Your case is complicated and can get you in lots of trouble without proper legal guidance. Good luck.

Comment

a) no
      b) It doesn't make sense to petition you now in the F2A category, because it will be useless to you before she becomes a citizen anyway, as you cannot AOS, and leaving the US will trigger a ban. If you plan to wait until she is a citizen, then I-130 and I-485 should be filed together when she becomes a citizen.

Another thing you need to check is whether your J-1 had the 2-year home residency requirement.
      Last edited by newacct; 02-02-2017, 05:18 AM.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

thank you newacct!

I thought that filing I-130 now may save some time later and possibly help if rules change for worse.

My J-1 had a 2 year residency waiver.

Comment

Originally posted by tomasz View Post
          I thought that filing I-130 now may save some time later and possibly help if rules change for worse.
          It doesn't save any time. I-130 and I-485 can be filed concurrently as soon as she becomes a citizen.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X