Birth Certificate - Philippines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Certificate - Philippines

Hello, I am posting in search of some advice. Me and my wife (US Citizen) are trying to petition her parents from the Philippines to the United States. We are trying to get all of her parents' documentation in order for the petition which we are part way through. Both of my wife's parents and their families were dirt poor so neither of her parents had much in the way of paperwork. What they did have they said was ruined in various floods.

Her mother obtained a late registered birth certificate legally and now we are working on her father's.

The local NSO office (where he would apply for the late registered birth certificate) told my wife's father he needs a marriage contract of his parents or some other document with his father's signature on it. This is to show he was a legitimate child, and can keep his father's last name. However, in all their searching they have not been able to find a marriage contract for his parents. My wife's father did find his brother's birth certificate which states her father's parents date of marriage. NSO said that document wasn't going to work...

The local NSO said he can either accept his mother's last name as an illegitimate child or 'go to court' which I assume means some sort of appeal. We really don't want either option but would rather find some alternative. Going to court probably would take a long time and be expensive, and switching his last name would screw up all their other documents (i.e. marriage contract).

Does anyone have experience with this issue and could share some advice? Do you think there is some sort of alternative documentation that would work for the NSO? ANY thoughts would be great how we can get through this process so my wife's father can get a late registered birth certificate in the Philippines.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X