• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 applying for AOS through marriage to US citizen

Background:
    My F1 visa is good till Aug 2018,
    Valid I-20 till sometime 2019.
    Currently enrolled in a community college.
    Did not take summer semester but do I have to enroll for fall if I apply for AOS?
    Came to US in 2013 on F1, everything's been legal, all good.
    Met my husband a little after I graduated in may 2015 (Master's) while I was on OPT.
    A year strong relationship, 2016 my OPT expires and could not apply for the 24 month STEM extension because I was working as a consultant and did not have Bonafide employee-employer relationship. My company's (a consultant) lawyers advised them not to file my OPT so I did not file and missed the two year thing. Then I joined a community college in Iowa where my (now husband) boyfriend was living. I moved there after living in Chicago for 3 years. So 7-11-17 ,one month ago, we got married. Almost two years after I had met him for the first time. So a very legitimate relationship.

Questions:
    Anyway, my husband makes hourly wage and is a full time manager at a retail store. He has been only been making the wage that will get us to the line since Nov 2016 (9 months). His old tax returns does not have income required for his eligibility to sponsor me. Since he isn't a salaried employee his employer will only write that he works there at what position and at what rate and not a totalled annual salary on their employment letter.
    Would just his W-2s suffice?
    What do people do in these situations?

Secondly, we cannot afford to enroll me in school for another semester. My new semester starts aug 28th. I was of course planning to apply for everything before this date and as soon as we got married. But since I'm trying to get through the process myself. There has been a learning curve and threw me off my schedule. What will happen if I did not enroll? Can I discuss this with my international center at the university?

My husband and I also have an age difference of 15 years. I'm 26 and he's 41. Will this be an issue too?
    Last edited by GuiterAdi; 08-24-2017, 07:56 PM. Reason: Deleting some personal info

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X