I864 Income (Part 6) Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I864 Income (Part 6) Question

Hi, hopefully somebody can help me out as searching previous posts hasn't proved fruitful.

Wife (Korean citizen) and I (US citizen) currently live in South Korea. I am sponsoring her US visa application. To the point, on the Affidavit of Support, I864, part 6, questions 1-2, I'm not sure how to answer.

For the previous three years, I have been employed and paid a salary which exceeds the minimum income requirement for our household size (2).

I am moving back to the US this month (just before my wife's interview date) to begin a masters program. As such, August was the last month of my employment in Korea and have to find employment in the US. I do have documentation which shows I am receiving a stipend/scholarship from the University, but it is not enough to meet the minimum income requirement (and I'm not sure if it could even be counted as income?).

However, if I add my 2017 year-to-date income from the job which I just quit to the funding from my university I would exceed the minimum income requirement. I could also exceed the minimum income requirement if using my previous job's YTD income by including checkings/savings in US bank accounts.

So I am currently (temporarily) unemployed, which leads me to check question 1d. But I have had income this year and I am expecting to receive future payments when I begin school. I want to include this income on line 2 of part 6. But can I do that even though I am at this moment unemployed? Can I check box 1a (currently employed) instead of 1d (unemployed)? Can I count scholarship and assitantship funding as income?

Thank you so much in advance for your reply.

Current income = income as of right now, this moment. Past income or future income don't count. Since you have no income as of this moment, your current individual annual income is 0.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X