Filing I-864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing I-864

I'm trying to fill out the form and had a question under the Federal Income Tax Return Information section.

I moved back to the US April of 2017 for work. I previously worked in the philippines so I did not file tax returns for 2015 and 2016 in the US. I did file in the philippines and have copies of my tax returns there.
    I was able to file my US Federal Tax Return for 2017.

I read this somewhere "if you are under age 65 and single, you must file a tax return if you earn $10,400 or more, which is the sum of the 2017 standard deduction for a single taxpayer plus one exemption."

In the Philippines I maid less that $10,400 a year.

So my question is what would my answers be for the questions below:
    18.a. Have you filed a Federal income tax return for each of the three most recent tax return?
    Yes or No

18.b. (Optional) I have attached photocopies or transcripts of my Federal income tax returns for my second and third most recent tax years
    Check or uncheck

Tax Year Total Income
    19.a. Most Recent 2017 $XX,ZZZ
    19.b. 2nd Most Recent N/A N/A
    19.c. 2nd Most Recent N/A N/A

Should I just put N/A for 19 b & c and add additional explanation?

*You can look at attachment as well.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Originally posted by sbor28 View Post
    I'm trying to fill out the form and had a question under the Federal Income Tax Return Information section.

I moved back to the US April of 2017 for work. I previously worked in the philippines so I did not file tax returns for 2015 and 2016 in the US. I did file in the philippines and have copies of my tax returns there.
    I was able to file my US Federal Tax Return for 2017.

I read this somewhere "if you are under age 65 and single, you must file a tax return if you earn $10,400 or more, which is the sum of the 2017 standard deduction for a single taxpayer plus one exemption."

In the Philippines I maid less that $10,400 a year.

So my question is what would my answers be for the questions below:
    18.a. Have you filed a Federal income tax return for each of the three most recent tax return?
    Yes or No

18.b. (Optional) I have attached photocopies or transcripts of my Federal income tax returns for my second and third most recent tax years
    Check or uncheck

Tax Year Total Income
    19.a. Most Recent 2017 $XX,ZZZ
    19.b. 2nd Most Recent N/A N/A
    19.c. 2nd Most Recent N/A N/A

Should I just put N/A for 19 b & c and add additional explanation?

*You can look at attachment as well.

Thanks
    Your picture looks right except you should not check 18b. Also, you need to attach a statement stating you were not required to file in 2016 and 2015 because your income those years were below the threshold (which was $10350 for 2016 and $10300 for 2015). Whether you were working in the Philippines or the US is irrelevant.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X